Non - Drax

The argument put out by the landed gentry that killing 200,000 birds a day is good for wildlife would be laughable were it not so tragic. Scores of rare birds of prey are killed each year, mountain hares were wiped out in their thousands and ground nesting birds such as lapwings and skylarks have their nests routinely destroyed.

Pulling numbers out your **************** just makes you look stupid.

The BTO estimates there are 146 individual birds in the UK and you think that the "landed gentry" kill half of them annually?

Up to 146,000 pheasants, 5,300 red grouse and 38,300 red-legged partridges are shot every day in the UK, during their respective hunting seasons.

Who’s looking stupid now?

This is typical Tory thinking and why the country is going to be better off when they're kicked into the wilderness. The science behind the badger cull is hopeless and is in place to appease cattle farmers who won't take any blame themselves. Beavers have been highly beneficial to the surrounding land where they have been reintroduced. The balance of wildlife is out because we eliminated bears, wolves and lynx and they should all be reintroduced to keep the deer population at normal levels. All over the grouse moors birds of prey are being illegally shot and poisoned so the rich can have their 'sport'. Grouse shooting is directly responsible for upland flooding. This guy understands the countryside as much as I understand nuclear physics.
Worth reading George Monbiot's book Feral which covers much of this. The cost of keeping Grouse Moors 'wild' and private is ridiculous. In their place, the Caledonian forests could be renewed and far more jobs created in forestry and tourism. Sheep farming on moorland doesn't come out much better either, uncontrolled roaming sheep will eat anything and trees can't regenerate because the sheep eat them before they have a chance to to grow.

I'm giving some advice to a local arts centre regarding their land and how to improve things regarding the native flora and environment.

There was much talk of community gardens and improving biodiversity etc.
All was going well until somebody proudly announced that they had seen 12 deer on site that morning.

Wasn't that wonderful?

No.

Pretty much calls to a halt anything that was planned.

Went outside to look at the site and found everything but mature trees has been eaten.

Any kind of replanting will just be feeding the deer.

Deer fencing the entire site is impractical and would give it the ambiance of a concentration camp.
The problem is that people have deeply entrenched "all animals always good" mentality that seems to stem from confusing tales of the riverbank with real life.

Overpopulation of deer is devastating to the local environment and they are an amazing source of sustainable meat and hide. It's bonkers to let them destroy the eco system then starve to death.

I'm giving some advice to a local arts centre regarding their land and how to improve things regarding the native flora and environment.

There was much talk of community gardens and improving biodiversity etc.
All was going well until somebody proudly announced that they had seen 12 deer on site that morning.

Wasn't that wonderful?

No.

Pretty much calls to a halt anything that was planned.

Went outside to look at the site and found everything but mature trees has been eaten.

Any kind of replanting will just be feeding the deer.

Deer fencing the entire site is impractical and would give it the ambiance of a concentration camp.
It’s an age old problem dating back to the Industrial Revolution. We built houses and factories on the land where deer roamed and we wiped out the predators that ate them.

The problem is that people have deeply entrenched "all animals always good" mentality that seems to stem from confusing tales of the riverbank with real life.

Overpopulation of deer is devastating to the local environment and they are an amazing source of sustainable meat and hide. It's bonkers to let them destroy the eco system then starve to death.

I don't know why but that made me think of this.

Up to 146,000 pheasants, 5,300 red grouse and 38,300 red-legged partridges are shot every day in the UK, during their respective hunting seasons.

Who’s looking stupid now?
Still you after having to climb down from half the bird population of the UK being killed annually to a massively qualified (and unsourced) "up to" number in a very specific time period.

How much are you going to reduce 73 million down to?

One day I found £100 in the street, based on your maths I should expect to find 36k a year

Still you after having to climb down from half the bird population of the UK being killed annually to a massively qualified (and unsourced) "up to" number in a very specific time period.

How much are you going to reduce 73 million down to?

One day I found £100 in the street, based on your maths I should expect to find 36k a year
You don’t get it, do you. That’s the number of birds killed each day according to the BASC. You’re confusing your figures. These birds are bred to be shot, so don’t count as endemic animals. It’s usually pointless arguing with someone who simply doesn’t understand facts and you are a classic point in case. Carry on with your wayward figures. You’re simply not worth engaging with.

You don’t get it, do you. That’s the number of birds killed each day according to the BASC. You’re confusing your figures. These birds are bred to be shot, so don’t count as endemic animals. It’s usually pointless arguing with someone who simply doesn’t understand facts and you are a classic point in case. Carry on with your wayward figures. You’re simply not worth engaging with.

Interesting you don't answer the question or provide sources. I suppose it's better to stay wrapped up in the comfort of ignorance.

This is typical Tory thinking and why the country is going to be better off when they're kicked into the wilderness. The science behind the badger cull is hopeless and is in place to appease cattle farmers who won't take any blame themselves. Beavers have been highly beneficial to the surrounding land where they have been reintroduced. The balance of wildlife is out because we eliminated bears, wolves and lynx and they should all be reintroduced to keep the deer population at normal levels. All over the grouse moors birds of prey are being illegally shot and poisoned so the rich can have their 'sport'. Grouse shooting is directly responsible for upland flooding. This guy understands the countryside as much as I understand nuclear physics.
He owns grouse moors in Scotland!

A few years ago I was told that the RSPB were considering a cull of the Sika Deer at Arne. They aren't a native species, and the increasing numbers were damaging to the local plants.

A few years ago they purged the rhododenrons, as they were choking the life out of the local plants

Really? I'd rather they were forced to use the NHS facilities and care homes they have chronically underfunded over the past 2.5 decades.
All MPs and members of the House of Lords should have to use public services. Funding might magically appear when they have raging toothache and no NHS dentist.

If they dont like it then let someone else be an MP that is willing to use the services the rest of us have to.

I am the business manager for a day care centre for disabled young adults. Last year we got a 5% rate uplift. 3.7% money and 1.3% we find in "efficiency savings". Tried telling staff to eat 1.3% more efficiently. They were so unhelpful. Minimum wage went up nearly 10%. If anyone needs rabbits pulling from hats let me know. Rishi obviously thinks that is my forte.

Really? I'd rather they were forced to use the NHS facilities and care homes they have chronically underfunded over the past 2.5 decades.
I’m not entirely convinced it’s underfunded to the extent that some commentators suggest. I think the NHS is broadly too fragmented (to the point that it’s grossly inefficient) and is totally mismanaged.

Collectively NHS Trusts are spending close to £1bn on external management consultants for example which begs the question over NHS management competence.

Totally agree on the Tory comment. It's Reform party for me now.

I’m not entirely convinced it’s underfunded to the extent that some commentators suggest. I think the NHS is broadly too fragmented (to the point that it’s grossly inefficient) and is totally mismanaged.

Collectively NHS Trusts are spending close to £1bn on external management consultants for example which begs the question over NHS management competence.

The vital cogs are definitely underfunded, ask anyone on the front line. Whether the NHS as a whole receives enough money is irrelevant. The mismanagement and privatisation issues are wholly the fault of the Tories.

;