Non - Fav wines?

I like dry white Sauvignon Blanc or a good Chablis. For red, a nice Rioja or Bordeaux. Love a quality Port with Stilton a cheese.

All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people don’t you? You know, wine this, wine that! "Let’s have a bit of red; let’s have a bit of white! Oooh that’s a snazzy bouquet! Oooh this smells of"...I don’t know..."basil."

Sometimes you just want to say, "Sod all this wine; just give me a pint of mineral water".

Last edited:
Plus the soil and climate. Sparkling wine produced in Kent and Sussex is very good because the soil in much of those counties is part of the same chalk escarpment as Champagne.

The sparkling wines from Langhams Vineyard and Bride Valley wines in Dorset are excellent - not cheap, but very good.

Montepulciano d'Abruzzzo, closely followed by most Malbecs. However, a lovely white was consumed in London a few weeks back, Viognier Special Selection from Tikves Winery in North Macedonia.

I went on a wine tasting evening and to begin with you can taste a difference. Then you get pissed and it all tastes the same. The leader said we could spit it out if we wanted! Yeah right!

I stumbled on a little beauty out of a wine advent calendar, few years back.
Columbard Sauvignon ,used to buy it regularly from Asda but stopped selling.
Almost impossible to find now without t'internet search.

Always happy to try new wines, so hoping to see lots of suggestions.

For white, I especially like Falanghina from southern Italy and Picpoul from France. Some German white wines can be good, including Pinot Gris from Rhinehessen. I also like Gruner Veltliner from Austria.

For rose’ my favourite is Costieres de Nimes.

As far as reds are concerned, I like Primitivo from southern Italy. My other favs are Cotes du Rhône Villages (France) and Argentinian Malbec. However with both of those the alcoholic content has been creeping up and personally I think 14% proof red wine is undrinkable.

Having spent time in Cadiz I am also very fond of Manzanilla sherry. Great on its own and magic in spring and summer when mixed with a can of Sprite (really!).
To be pedantic Roger 14% proof would be a very weak wine.

Current fave is Terre di Faiano Primitivo, a lovely organic wine that Waitrose sell. Just under a tenner but regularly 25% off.

I also use Naked wines and am looking forward to the Christmas case.

To be pedantic Roger 14% proof would be a very weak wine.

To be even more pedantic there is no such thing as 14% proof, it would be degrees proof or just proof.

My go to wine tends to be "whatever Rioja is on offer" (normally paired with tapas or antipasti) so it's good to get some recommendations from people who are more adventurous than me. It's probably time I broadened my horizons a bit!

;