Non - Football books

Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin.

Brilliant insight into 20 different managers based on based on interviews with each. Eddie features. Couple of years old now but most is retrospective so it doesn't date much.

Fascinating stuff and a cheap paperback. Made shortlist for sports book of the year.

Edited to add: same author as kirsikka's above - I like the inside track stuff as opposed to the glossy ghostwritten books.

"My father and other working class football heroes" by Gary Imlach - wonderful read

"A life too short - the tragedy of Robert Enke" - a really well-written story of a life with huge potential tragically cut short

Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona vs Real Madrid by Sid Lowe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fear-Loathing-Liga-Barcelona-Madrid/dp/0224091808

In All Departments - 2/2/2018 09:32

Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin.

Brilliant insight into 20 different managers based on based on interviews with each. Eddie features. Couple of years old now but most is retrospective so it doesn't date much.

Fascinating stuff and a cheap paperback. Made shortlist for sports book of the year.

Edited to add: same author as kirsikka's above - I like the inside track stuff as opposed to the glossy ghostwritten books.

Seriously a very good read. :110:

Anything by Michael Calvin. His most recent is 'No Hunger in Paradise'. Very good.
Ian Ridley - 'Floodlit Dreams, How to save a football club'. Bit old but was very interesting.
Adrian Tempany - 'And the sun shines now'
Chris Hargreaves - 'Where's your caravan'
Jeff Connor - 'Pointless'
Paul Kimmage - The Secret life of Tony Cascarino

If you are of certain age (and recent survey suggested most are) and remember the best of Brian Clough, then Provided You Dont Kiss Me by a local journo who covered Forest etc for 20 years is a goosd read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Provided-You-Dont-Kiss-Me/dp/0007247117/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is pretty good in a political/football/easy read way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartland-Anthony-Cartwright/dp/1906994080/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517588716&sr=1-1&keywords=heartland+cartwright&dpID=41biKxeHoRL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

"The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris started appearing across my Twitter feed.

I haven't read a book in ages, so today I dusted off the Kindle and downloaded the book.

Football, music, Politics (The Troubles), family, love, death. It really is a very good read, far removed from the standard ex-footballer fayre.

Highly Recommended.

Henry Winter “ Fifty Years of Hurt “ is still well worth a read - it came out during Euro 2016 so nothing changed !
But it’s a great book about England’s footballing failures and problems since ‘66 .

Anything by Michael Calvin. His most recent is 'No Hunger in Paradise'. Very good.
Ian Ridley - 'Floodlit Dreams, How to save a football club'. Bit old but was very interesting.
Adrian Tempany - 'And the sun shines now'
Chris Hargreaves - 'Where's your caravan'
Jeff Connor - 'Pointless'
Paul Kimmage - The Secret life of Tony Cascarino

Chris Hargreaves book was by far the worst football book
I have read. No wonder Eddie got rid of him shortly after that came out.

;