Non - Heatwave, record to be broken ?

I’ll be keeping an eye on your website’s weather station to see if it’ll smash any of your records

Station record here is 33.3c

A lot depends on the direction of the prevailing wind plus any sea breeze. Very high temps are hard to achieve here because the sea breeze helps keep the lid on high temps.

If you look at the graphs on my site on a sunny summers day, compare the temperature curve with the wind direction.

The day the temperature record fell in 2003, the temp here rocketed to 32c/90f in a north-easterly breeze by late morning, then the sea breeze kicked in and pegged temps back to 25c. late afternoon, the sea breeze died off and the NEly kicked back in, temps again rose above the 32c/90f mark.

Factors this year are that sea temperatures are anomalously high, and the soils are very dry given the lack of rainfall in the last couple of months. These two factors will help push max temps up further.

Station record here is 33.3c

A lot depends on the direction of the prevailing wind plus any sea breeze. Very high temps are hard to achieve here because the sea breeze helps keep the lid on high temps.

If you look at the graphs on my site on a sunny summers day, compare the temperature curve with the wind direction.

The day the temperature record fell in 2003, the temp here rocketed to 32c/90f in a north-easterly breeze by late morning, then the sea breeze kicked in and pegged temps back to 25c. late afternoon, the sea breeze died off and the NEly kicked back in, temps again rose above the 32c/90f mark.

Factors this year are that sea temperatures are anomalously high, and the soils are very dry given the lack of rainfall in the last couple of months. These two factors will help push max temps up further.
Firstly had to google anomalously…. Great word… going to try and drop that into every day chat at work!

Secondly that will explain why I got my shoulders under yesterday without other parents and kids having to leave the sea for industrial language. It did feel like the Med.

That was my thought Jim. Whether or not it happens having a weather modelling of 40-42 degrees for the uk is reflective of an air mass being able to get across the channel (where it will still lose a couple of degrees) at that temp. Which is a concern. I do enjoy these hot spells though.

It certainly is a concern, how come the Saharan airmass bringing us Mediterranean temperatures is crossing the Channel unopposed, shouldn't France be stopping it at Calais : )
#notthebrexit/climatechangeivoted4 : )

Seriously this brings home global warming to me.

I spent the summer of 1983 in Italy, including a month in Sardinia. It was a particularly hot year, with temperatures of 44C for three or four days. Bloody hot. It prompted comments along the lines of “I’ve never known anything like it” or “it’s unsupportable” from the Sardinian family I was staying with.

It beggars belief that, less than 40 years later, temperatures in the UK could be coming close to the ones that caused such comment in the Mediterranean when I was a young man. We have created an awful legacy for our children and grandchildren.

Seriously this brings home global warming to me.

It beggars belief that, less than 40 years later, temperatures in the UK could be coming close to the ones that caused such comment in the Mediterranean when I was a young man. We have created an awful legacy for our children and grandchildren.

and hedgehogs

Yes indeed - perfect temperature for an English summer day :)
We’re off camping in Devon in two weeks - I won’t want it to be much above that - just right will do me .
Similar here as well. All the expensive far flung flashy holidays in the world would struggle to beat camping out on a warm summer's evening for me, enjoy.

Daytime temps might be tough if this keeps going though! Shade keeps you cool, it keeps your beer cool too ;)

Meanwhile, it Rrained here in Crete Saturday afternoon and sunday morning.

Southern Peloponnese had a good downfall on Saturday afternoon and temperatures in the high 20s. Never thought that I would be travelling to the "septic isle" for sunshine.......

;