Non - irrational grudges

RobTrent

UTC Legend
A post by Oldskool on the Pompey thread about grudges got me thinking (rare I know).

I hate Tranmere simply because of their attitude towards me when trying to join the pitch shenanigans at their ground when we got promoted. Now I’m delighted every time they lose.

What’s your irrational football grudge?

Mine is Tommy Docherty dropping McDougall because he 'couldn't play outside the box' !

Another is B.Clough being ignored by the FA for England boss.

But... the big one for me was our name change from Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club to. 'Afcb'...yet, ironically they call them. 'athletes' now............... ( FFS! )

Orient, goes back to 69/70 season when already promoted they lost at home to Gillingham in their final game of the season on a monday night thereby relegating us on goal average (remember that?).
We had drawn at Gillingham on the saturday and were 2 points above them with just that game to play. In those days the season didn't finish for all clubs at the same time. No Solent in those days and I didn't know the result until I looked in my dads paper the next morning. as a 12 year old I was devastated.
All those years later I had a wry smile when they went non league !!

There might be one or two irrational football grudges on Vitals...

Oh, and the correct answer isn't a club. It's an individual. Djimi Traore. No explanation needed. Even though (I don't think?) we never played against him a single time in his career. He still boils my blood.

With Liverpool: I'd never been to Anfield and Liverpool were due to play Blackburn (I think it was) in the F.A. Cup. If Liverpool had won we would have been visiting Anfield but Blackburn managed to beat Liverpool and then Blackburn turned us over, so I never got to Anfield. Completely irrational lol.

Chesterfield

Only time I have been attacked attending a match. Especially as it was a nondescript 1-1 in 1997.

Loved their years in the non league wilderness.

I wouldn't say they are grudges but I find Palace annoying for their plastic ultras and Bristol Rovers for rebranding themselves the Pirates because they're too cool to be The Gas plus that one time their 'keeper ended up in the North Stand and claimed to fear for life.

With Liverpool: I'd never been to Anfield and Liverpool were due to play Blackburn (I think it was) in the F.A. Cup. If Liverpool had won we would have been visiting Anfield but Blackburn managed to beat Liverpool and then Blackburn turned us over, so I never got to Anfield. Completely irrational lol.
I am sure that it was Burnley.

Also, nothing posted so far that appears irrational to me. There are reasons behind each dislike/avsersion/hatred.

Let me tell you why I want Gillinghoof, Seaweed, Swinedon, the Biscuits, Plymouth, Cardiff, Florist, Manure, and a few others to lose every match. I have a different reason for each but I can be certain that I share a few of them with others on here.

It used to be Grimsby. Not only did they beat us at Wembley, but the jammy buggers went there and won in the play-offs, too.

Also Wigan. Nicked our play-off place on the last day twice in three years, I think it was.

As our paths have widened over the years I've gotten over both.

These days, my dislike of Wrexham is growing more and more.

Phil Brown. Egomaniac who (when at Hull) did his stupid halftime team talk on the pitch to make himself centre of attention, then at the end of the season when Hull stayed up he sent the players back into the dressing room so he could sing to the crowd and get all the adulation for himself.

Phil Brown. Egomaniac who (when at Hull) did his stupid halftime team talk on the pitch to make himself centre of attention, then at the end of the season when Hull stayed up he sent the players back into the dressing room so he could sing to the crowd and get all the adulation for himself.

Absolutely full of himself .

Mine is Tommy Docherty dropping McDougall because he 'couldn't play outside the box' !

Another is B.Clough being ignored by the FA for England boss.

But... the big one for me was our name change from Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club to. 'Afcb'...yet, ironically they call them. 'athletes' now............... ( FFS! )
And doesnt the AFC in AFCB stand for exactly that?

My grudge will always be Leeds United..I despised them in the 70’s under Revie (didn’t like him much either!)
…after their vermin fans trashed our town and set fire to a burger van at Bradford not long after their fire in the stands…
Sorry but can’t ever want them to win anything or even exist !

;