NON ish: Ohec

dj_silver

Fans' Favourite
Anybody ever look at the Non League Footy section in the rag?
Well, if you haven't, you haven't missed anything since 11th June!
It has not been updated since then. Last story was about the Euros, where the Euros fit into a Non League heading is beyond me.

To make matters worse, I keep getting silly banners asking me to subscribe, bloody joke rag!

I was surprised that the Saturday paper after we played West Brom in an evening kick off didn’t include a match report due to “printing deadlines”. Is this true of all evening kick offs that the next day paper doesn’t include coverage?

Bournemouth Echo has noticeably gone downhill (even further) in recent months IMHO. Ever more cutbacks, redundancies, and restructures I gather.

I was surprised that the Saturday paper after we played West Brom in an evening kick off didn’t include a match report due to “printing deadlines”. Is this true of all evening kick offs that the next day paper doesn’t include coverage?
The trouble is they didnt then have a report in the monday edition either!

It's a bit sad really. The conurbation needs a paper it can be proud of but the readership doesn't seem to be there anymore. I did my work experience at the Echo in 1994 and I remember the office as bustling place that seemed like it was at the centre of the universe.

I do subscribe to the Echo online and check it most mornings for 10 minutes... You can probably do without subscribing to it but it's a token gesture fee...

The echo could improve massively by employing proper ,real life proof readers,not by relying on spellcheck tech.
The amount of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors is unbelievable.
Hardly a day goes by without posters commenting on the English being used by 'reporters'.

That is correct, I noticed it too.

Back in the good old days, you could get a complete match report, together with a round-up of all the day's other games, within 60 minutes at your local newsagent's.

The Football Echo, required reading every Saturday evening.

How did they do it ?

When we'd won the game, it was particularly satisfying to pore over the match report that evening, reliving the action minute by minute, all brought back to vivid life by the breathless prose. Updated league tables to study, upcoming fixtures to consider, football pools coupon to check with my old man.

All that, plus a bag of chips, (plenty of salt and vinegar) added up to a brilliant Saturday night...

When we'd won the game, it was particularly satisfying to pore over the match report that evening, reliving the action minute by minute, all brought back to vivid life by the breathless prose. Updated league tables to study, upcoming fixtures to consider, football pools coupon to check with my old man.

All that, plus a bag of chips, (plenty of salt and vinegar) added up to a brilliant Saturday night...
Yes always a highlight of a Saturday evening.

1629971116569.png

Back in the good old days, you could get a complete match report, together with a round-up of all the day's other games, within 60 minutes at your local newsagent's.

The Football Echo, required reading every Saturday evening.

How did they do it ?
Cheap Labour before immigration ;-)

I remember the old chap used to sell the Echo outside of Beales. If memory serves me right his call was ..... "All the half times and 3.30 winners!"
Also, getting the Echo and you had to turn it on its side to read the results on the bottom of the back page. :grinning:

Dorset Evening Sports Echo focussed on Weymouth, Yeovil, Dorchester Town and Bridport. Still worth getting to have all the results.

;