Non Istanbul

'You wouldn't say that white guy, so why do you have to say that black guy".... or words to that effect

Its a fair point. .

Sorry I disagree, it was a descriptive comment rather than a racist one. No different to tall guy, fat guy, ginger, etc.

Interestingly, in Romanian "the black guy" is "ala negru" which if heard as negro then I understand why it got the reaction it did.

Misunderstanding in my opinion.

Sorry I disagree, it was a descriptive comment rather than a racist one. No different to tall guy, fat guy, ginger, etc.

Interestingly, in Romanian "the black guy" is "ala negru" which if heard as negro then I understand why it got the reaction it did.

would a lineo point out a player "as the fat or ginger one?"

I can imagine it would all be fine if a referee or assistant pointed at the Burnley Bench and said "The ugly ginger tw@t" when describing someone. Why should you use someones colour as a description?

Then we'll disagree, in today's world, including the work place, it is indirect racism
Intending to just be descriptive or not , its using language that highlights difference in 'race, ethnicity or other...'. It's not right, said innocently, subconsciously or not.
The fact people are unlikely to say 'the white guy' just further emphasises the point

It doesn’t seem like it was said with malicious intent, but it’s not dissimilar to that thing with plasters being “skin coloured”- for whites. Unfortunately, if I’m being honest, I am probably more likely to point out a guy in a group as “the black guy” over pointing out “the white guy” too, probably because I’m around white people more. That doesn’t mean it’s acceptable, even if you don’t vocalise it. When you stop and think about it its very insensitive and it’s not really on; especially with how casually it can come out. Demba Ba is 100% spot on.

It’s also a shame that these types of incidents will be met with indifference by many; just because it’s not bananas being thrown and monkey noises doesn’t mean it’s not racist.

You what now???

You mean racism is still happening in sport and it hasn't been fixed yet?

But... but... but on the Millwall thread the old white men said it was all sorted!

:slap:

So in a room full of black people and one white person , to point him out you wouldn't say the ...white guy ?

So in a room full of black people and one white person , to point him out you wouldn't say the ...white guy ?

I think the point of the thread is that it's bad to use any protected characteristic (race, age, gender, etc) as a form of description and incredibly wrong to imply someone is inferior because of it.

Unless the age is old, the race white and the gender man ...

I think the point of the thread is that it's bad to use any protected characteristic (race, age, gender, etc) as a form of description and incredibly wrong to imply someone is inferior because of it.

Unless the age is old, the race white and the gender man ...

While I agree, describing someone when they're all wearing the same thing becomes a bit more difficult. They should put numbers on players shirts and shorts to help identify them.

To be clear before I reply, I am fully against racism and hold no right wing views at all regarding skin colour, religion or nationality.

Racism is about prejudice, discrimination and believing a certain section is inferior to another based on one of the above.

Using a descriptive such as colour or nationality especially when he was the only black coach on the bench as I was led to believe is not being racist. Possibly a little insensitive but not racist. As mentioned above, if there was a single white person or Irish person on the bench and that was used to describe them, is that racist to the extent you would abandon a game over it?

The only true way to fight racism is by treating people equally and not swinging to far the other way as that just creates more issues.

I don't want this to become a holier than vow topic because we all know racism is wrong and that isn't up for debate, I just think we are close to going to far the opposite the direction. In a parallel universe, It won't be long before you can not describe a man as a man as it will offend transgenders or people that identify as a palm tree.

There is nothing wrong with saying something as it is so long as there is no prejudice or inferiority applied.

;