Non: Klopp on Burnley

What he wants is for Liverpool to pay a fine free-flowing game with plenty of time on the ball and the ability to pick their passes to a man in space. They want to score lots of goals, they don't want to be tackled, they don't want anyone to get in their way.

Essentially, he thinks the referee's job is to see that teams like Burnley don't come and spoil the game by challenging for the ball or getting in the way of Liverpool's players. Teams like Burnley shouldn't be allowed to have players like Chris Wood because he doesn't let Liverpool have the ball. (I don't think he has any objection to teams like Liverpool having players like Virgil Van Dijk.)

The man is a complete tosser. I bet if Mike Dean was allowed to comment, he would say it was the easiest game he has had for yonks and there wasn't a foul worthy off the name in the whole game.

What he wants is for Liverpool to pay a fine free-flowing game with plenty of time on the ball and the ability to pick their passes to a man in space. They want to score lots of goals, they don't want to be tackled, they don't want anyone to get in their way.

Essentially, he thinks the referee's job is to see that teams like Burnley don't come and spoil the game by challenging for the ball or getting in the way of Liverpool's players. Teams like Burnley shouldn't be allowed to have players like Chris Wood because he doesn't let Liverpool have the ball. (I don't think he has any objection to teams like Liverpool having players like Virgil Van Dijk.)

The man is a complete tosser. I bet if Mike Dean was allowed to comment, he would say it was the easiest game he has had for yonks and there wasn't a foul worthy off the name in the whole game.

Although whenever we played you I hated to watch our games and we often got bullied out of games by you going route one or with set pieces I agree with you dsr you have to play to your own teams strengths that will get you results in the PL and it's worked for you to keep you in the PL for 5 years and 7 out 8 years. At the end of the day no team in PL wants to go toe to toe in a passing match with likes of City, Liverpool or Chelsea because it will only end one way 99% of the time. I do still prefer possession tika taka but I've seen us do that and get nowhere against better players/ big rich clubs and I still believe in mixing it up and going long when needed.

Last edited:

I think there's definitely some truth to this. Amusing hearing Klopp referring to them as wrestlers, but ultimately its a challenge he needs to overcome and should be able to if he's a good manager with top tier players at his disposal. Particularly as the game is a lot less physical compared to decades ago.

Also, Liverpool were at home, so lets face it, theres no way Burnley or most clubs will get a free pass from the ref... Should be relatively easy to get sympathy from the ref if there is constant ****************-housary going on.

Like Vlad said, most sides aren't going to get very far turning up and going toe to toe with the best sides, without finding another angle/approach to expose their weakness.

As much as I wouldn't want AFCB to adopt that kind of approach, I do have respect for how Burnley have implemented a plan/style and executed it well enough to stay in the top flight far longer than is usual for clubs that are usually in that bottom 8 or so tier.

Last edited:

Well, I think Klopp can make some tosser comments, yeah. Not sure I would go so far as to say Klopp is a complete tosser full stop, though. To me, his comment shows a lack of empathy for less well off clubs who can't afford the type of player Liverpool can. Depends if their tackling was acceptable within the rules of the game. If so, no problem. If not and it endangered players, the ref should have acted (Burnley have stifled many a team by routinely fouling I seem to remember). Also, although Van Dijk was badly injured by Jordan Pickford, can we say VD has never tackled poorly and endangered a player? He needs to say things differently I think.

;