Non - Lucille!!

Little Richard had an influence on the Beatles as well and not just him, one of my favourite artists Buddy Holly and Elvis.

Little Richard was another influence in The Beatles’ musical career. According to Lennon, he was one of the all time greatest musicians (DiCesare, par. 1). McCartney was infatuated with Little Richard’s vocal range, and even tried to impersonate his style during his performances (Krerowicz, par.2). As recalled in the Krerowicz journal, when Paul McCartney auditioned for The Quarrymen he did his Little Richard style vocals, which Lennon was majorly impressed (par. 3). The band even performed various Little Richard tunes on the radio and at concerts. Little Richard’s style can be identified in some of The Beatles’ classic songs, such as McCartney’s ‘woooo’ in “I Saw Her Standing There” (DiCesare, par.2). According to DiCesare, “not many people could wail like Richard…[but with] Paul’s screaming lead vocals, they nailed hits like “Good Golly Miss Molly,” “Tutti-Frutti” and “Lucille”” (par. 5). Little Richard’s influence is definitely noticeable with all The Beatles’ “falsetto ‘wooos’” in their songs (Krerowicz, par. 11). Even though the Little Richard influence greatly affected McCartney, Lennon also interpreted Richard’s style in his 1975 solo album Rock 'n' Roll (Krerowicz, par. 13). Little Richard even went on tour with the group as an opener in Europe of 1964. The flamboyant performer was a huge fan of The Beatles, and most notably said, “I’ve never heard that sound from English musicians before. Honestly, if I hadn’t seen them with my own eyes I’d have thought they were a colored group from back home” (Luling, par. 19). Little Richard’s eclectic style and sound turned out to be an outstanding influence on the band’s sound, especially on Paul McCartney.

https://www.grin.com/document/367242

Had tickets to see him in Bournemouth in the 70s but the gig was cancelled. Alas I never got to see him on any other occasion. A one off who had a great impact on rock. A biopic would be worth viewing. At least he got to a good age unlike so many others.

He scared the living crap out of the older generation of late 1950's white American society. But the teenagers loved him and he was one of the great segregation-busters, along with Chuck Berry.

Total legend. Archive footage of him with one leg on the piano inspired me to take up music. Being an openly gay black performer coming up in the rural, segregated south of the 1950s is the epitome of nonchalant rock and roll attitude.

No words can do justice to describe the positive effect and impact he had on music in particular and the world in general. Always in awe of his talent. RIP Richard.

Total legend. Archive footage of him with one leg on the piano inspired me to take up music. Being an openly gay black performer coming up in the rural, segregated south of the 1950s is the epitome of nonchalant rock and roll attitude.
You should read his biography by Charles White. That is an eye opener!

;