Non Maradona

Actually that’s not what matters . The fact he was a coke head that liked to beat up women matters more .

Like many genuises, they are usually top 0.5% of what they're best at but usually deeply flawed in other aspects of their life as well.

He lived life on his terms and like many 'hell-raisers' was happier to lead an extreme lifestyle and accept a short life span, over living like a saint.

Obviously beating up women is totally out of order, but does being into coke really detract from what he achieved?

Best was miles better...so was Cruyff...and Ron Bolton.

The South Americans tend to be overrated imo...over couple of World Cup 'performances'. When they do anything bad...they go and kneel before a dodgy old bugger in a church for ' confession of sins '.

Best was miles better...so was Cruyff...and Ron Bolton.

The South Americans tend to be overrated imo...over couple of World Cup 'performances'. When they do anything bad...they go and kneel before a dodgy old bugger in a church for ' confession of sins '.

I know you're on the wind up but to say Best was miles better is a massive stretch.

he was crap for us - played like @Brian Hutchings after a night at spoons!

Chance would be a fine thing...a few bottles of Speck Hen or Hobgoblin from Co-Op at best!

Btw our Spoons was having very few customers before Lockdown...due to a security man getting 'glassed' and a murder just outside in the street last year. Two separate incidents.

If my missus caught me going in there again I'd be in deep sh*t.

The are so many different football greats. The central defender brick walls are just as important as the genius dibblers. Maradonas ball control was unsurpassed. Messi is better on the ball, as I think Gazza was too but Maradona was as much a showman off the pitch with his ball skill displays as he was on. To me Gazza has been English footballs most talented footballer. Like Maradona, he had a control on the run that few have ever got close to. The two of them similar both on and off the pitch.

A lot in the media today and yesterday about best ever but how can you possibly compare?

You dont have to like the guy or have never forgiven him for cheating to appreciate that he was a great footballer.

I'm sure that second goal everybody raves about in the '86 finals was an own goal. Whoever it was that came in to tackle him just before he was going to shoot put the ball into the back of the net.

I doubt Best would be all that high on a list of greatest footballers of all time if voted for by people from outside of the UK. Maradona certainly would.
Best never had the chance to play the highest stage - World Cup Finals for a world football power. If he had who knows what he may have done and what people may have thought of him. If he had been English and gone to the World Cup in 1970 who knows, mind you Ramsay probably wouldn't have picked him! n

Best never had the chance to play the highest stage - World Cup Finals for a world football power. If he had who knows what he may have done and what people may have thought of him. If he had been English and gone to the World Cup in 1970 who knows, mind you Ramsay probably wouldn't have picked him! n

There is a long list of greats who played for countries who would never perform at international level so would never truly get their recognition.

Did you see his 2 corners against Germany in the World Cup final. Neither got beyond the 1st defender.
He would have fitted in well here.

Bloody newspapers this morning...my god ..so full of sh*t...." peoples footballer"...ffs....

And I dunno Who or Where God is.....but He is not Maradona or in Ragingtina !
..God is not even Callum Wor' son !

He was a damn good player was DiEgo with some sublime skills...but he was a naughty boy too!
And Hey Look in a U-Turn mood ... we could give him some credit for ' putting his Nation first ' when he done the ' Hand of God' theatre.... he made a lot of people happy... we Had previously won the ' Malvinas ' battle....that was a Not Nice Thing for those cowpoke folk ! They needed a Lift.
No hard feelings! History has it on the parchment!
However all things said ...I think the newspapers should drop it off pretty quick!

Last edited:

;