Non - Max Thompson

I remember him. Didn’t play much. Hard as nails tall centre back in the Willo mould, excitement because of his Liverpool and Swansea connections. Rumours were Harry fell out with him after he was sent off in a reserve game regaining his fitness. Think he might have been sent off in a first team game but statto check needed on that one. Moved on after half a season.

Bizarrely last year was at a pub in Walton in Liverpool talking to the landlord and when I said I was a Bournemouth fan he asked me if I remembered Max which was an odd request and it was his mate.

Anybody else remember anything?

I remember him. Didn’t play much. Hard as nails tall centre back in the Willo mould, excitement because of his Liverpool and Swansea connections. Rumours were Harry fell out with him after he was sent off in a reserve game regaining his fitness. Think he might have been sent off in a first team game but statto check needed on that one. Moved on after half a season.

Bizarrely last year was at a pub in Walton in Liverpool talking to the landlord and when I said I was a Bournemouth fan he asked me if I remembered Max which was an odd request and it was his mate.

Anybody else remember anything?
Just remember him being quite a skilfull CB.

Remember being amazed he was an ex liverpool player as I don’t think he performed that well - but expect it was a bit of a come down from liverpool and that era was a bit of a mess

RIP though

I have a vague recollection he played in a pre season friendly against Stoke and we won 4 nil he scored with a bullet header....thoughts were this lad looks good what's he doing here ? ...sadly for him and us it didn't work out ....RIP

Didn't get score against man u in the league cup?
No. That was 82/83 and was 2-2 think might have been Crawford and Funnell but no proof. He joined in 83/84 so would have been signed by Megson but taken over by Harry.

His namesake and team mate Ian scored against Utd in the FA cup that year but Max had gone.

No. That was 82/83 and was 2-2 think might have been Crawford and Funnell but no proof. He joined in 83/84 so would have been signed by Megson but taken over by Harry.

His namesake and team mate Ian scored against Utd in the FA cup that year but Max had gone.
Paul Compton and Stuart Morgan '82.

Reactions: drd
Hate to speak ill of the dead, but I thought he was pretty shite, and that was in a pretty shite team, often coming up in the "worst player list".
Condolences to the family, and younger than me which is a worry...............

Hate to speak ill of the dead, but I thought he was pretty shite, and that was in a pretty shite team, often coming up in the "worst player list".
Condolences to the family, and younger than me which is a worry...............
Nothing wrong in saying that. It’s not an eulogy and you can stay that and still feel for his family.

;