Non - Pandemic

For what it's worth below is an actual PHE estimate of where infection contacts occur, excluding care settings. Compiled through September, so during one of the slacker stages of our restrictions. Pubs, restaurants etc are grouped under the leisure category as well as gyms.
View attachment 4568
I don't understand this one. It seems to be saying that (using broad brush estimates for the length of the lines) for every 4 people who catch coronavirus from someone in the same household, only 1 catches it from anywhere else.

How can that work? By definition, at least 1 person in an infected household must catch it from outside the household. It doesn't spontaneously generate.

But the average household is a lot less than 5, so the average transmission within households can't be 4 times the transmission from outside the household.

Language:

If Boris maybe substituted " the R rate is above or below 1 " with " the Covid Pandemic is Rampant and anyone could die from it ""....then maybe the warning messages might get through a slight better ..

Ora probably wrote out the draft apology 'before' It embarked on the Buffoon Behaviour ..and got its entourage to sanction its ' validity'.

I was actually shocked rigid by her age...30 ? jeepers.. she really only looks 29 and a half !

Last edited:
Rita Ora.....see what I mean about Celebs now.
The bloody slapper thinks she is above the law!

Not really Brian, I honestly don't think anyone other than you is interested in celebrities in the way you are. There's probably some pop music forums out there where you'll get a much more enthusiastic response to your thoughts on next time Kia Ora sees her mates or Barry Manilow goes for a dump.

For what it's worth below is an actual PHE estimate of where infection contacts occur, excluding care settings. Compiled through September, so during one of the slacker stages of our restrictions. Pubs, restaurants etc are grouped under the leisure category as well as gyms.
View attachment 4568

I haven’t seen this in its original context, but I don’t think it is showing where infections occurred.

All I think it is showing is the results of asking people who have tested positive who they have been in close contact with (Defined as 15 minutes or more of close face to face contact). The results are that, if they give any names at all and many don’t, they are likely to be overwhelmingly people they live with, or who have visited their house, or whose houses they themselves have visited.

Of course most transmission of COVID is within households or other closed environments, like hospitals, care homes and prisons. However this graph doesn’t actually represent in what proportion.

Not really Brian, I honestly don't think anyone other than you is interested in celebrities in the way you are. There's probably some pop music forums out there where you'll get a much more enthusiastic response to your thoughts on next time Kia Ora sees her mates or Barry Manilow goes for a dump.

There are only a couple of other posters that I rile with my attitude to celebs behaviour.
But whether I annoy anyone or not doesn't mean anything outside or inside the Forum.... or take away the fact that a celeb or two is not setting good examples !

There are only a couple of other posters that I rile with my attitude to celebs behaviour.
But whether I annoy anyone or not doesn't mean anything outside or inside the Forum.... or take away the fact that a celeb or two is not setting good examples !

I don't think rile is really the right word. Bemuse would be better, you dont get a lot of older blokes who are so invested in celebrity culture tbf Brian.

:D just to confirm, you don;t rile me mentioning them... just makes me laugh the fact you bring them up so frequently!

I like pointing it out each time you mention them ;)

So...direct question.
Do any of you think Rita Ora behaved in a way we expect...regarding setting good examples to young people from those in priviliged position?
I daresay a decent answer will fly at me in a minute....
that is welcome though ..even if I get shot down in sh*t.....thats better than ignoring others questions as does JimnNina !... :giggle:

So...direct question.
Do any of you think Rita Ora behaved in a way we expect...regarding setting good examples to young people from those in priviliged position?
that is welcome though ..even if I get shot down in sh*t.....thats better than ignoring others questions as does JimnNina !... :giggle:

no idea, don;t watch the news/social media ;)

So...direct question.

If she's broken the rules she should be brought to book like everyone else. I don't know or care much about the woman so it doesn't bother me any more than any other rule breaker. I'm not into celebs though Brian so maybe I've not got my finger on the cultural pulse like you have. :LOL:

So...direct question.

Rita who?

Name doesn’t ring a bell, see she is a singer.

Might have heard her tunes, but not know the name of the singer.

So celebrity?

I don't understand this one. It seems to be saying that (using broad brush estimates for the length of the lines) for every 4 people who catch coronavirus from someone in the same household, only 1 catches it from anywhere else.

How can that work? By definition, at least 1 person in an infected household must catch it from outside the household. It doesn't spontaneously generate.

But the average household is a lot less than 5, so the average transmission within households can't be 4 times the transmission from outside the household.

It's an interesting observation.

I read the data to mean of you catch it, you will almost certainly infect your whole household. I had assumed after that the household would go into self isolation and the virus would hit a dead end.

I guess that means that for every 5 people that get it only one spreads it outside their household which, if
true, makes the infection rate pretty scary.

Student houses, care homes and multi generational spread particularly in BAME households have been the most likely household settings haven't they?

It's an interesting observation.

I read the data to mean of you catch it, you will almost certainly infect your whole household. I had assumed after that the household would go into self isolation and the virus would hit a dead end.

I guess that means that for every 5 people that get it only one spreads it outside their household which, if
true, makes the infection rate pretty scary.

See my earlier post: “I haven’t seen this (data) in its original context, but I don’t think it is showing where infections occurred.

All I think it is showing is the results of asking people who have tested positive who they have been in close contact with (Defined as 15 minutes or more of close face to face contact). The results are that, if they give any names at all and many don’t, they are likely to be overwhelmingly people they live with, or who have visited their house, or whose houses they themselves have visited.

Of course most transmission of COVID is within households or other closed environments, like hospitals, care homes and prisons. However this graph doesn’t actually represent in what proportion.”

In other words, it doesn’t show how the virus spreads. It just shows the types of close contacts people can, or choose, to identify when asked. Those are two quite different things.

;