Non - Pandemic

This doesn’t sound like great news .

Hopefully it can be controlled and contained .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55900625
Virus does what viruses do. Hopefully vaccines can continue to be effective at largely reducing symptoms, even if it can never prevent it all together. At some point we'll just have to live with it like the cold and flu, as was suggested by scientists a year ago.

Sky story.

A mutation of the Kent variant detected in some samples could help the virus evade the immune system, scientists have found.

The mutation, which has been labelled E484K, has also been found in the South Africa variant of the coronavirus.

It was found in 11 samples of some 200,000 that have been sequenced.

Sky's science correspondent Thomas Moore said it was a "worrying development" as it could mean those previously infected could be re-infected and could reduce the effectiveness of COVID vaccines.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...could-help-virus-evade-immune-system-12206375

Virus does what viruses do. Hopefully vaccines can continue to be effective at largely reducing symptoms, even if it can never prevent it all together. At some point we'll just have to live with it like the cold and flu, as was suggested by scientists a year ago.

True but there is a quote there saying this one might still be a threat even with the vaccine .

Of course early days but a concern if the vaccine isn’t effective against it.

True but there is a quote there saying this one might still be a threat even with the vaccine .

Of course early days but a concern if the vaccine isn’t effective against it.
True Mark, but just as virus's mutate so do vaccines. The flu vaccine is different every winter, some years as little as 30% effective, other years 60 or 70%.
Bottom line is that we cannot go on locking down, easing up, locking down etc forever.

True Mark, but just as virus's mutate so do vaccines. The flu vaccine is different every winter, some years as little as 30% effective, other years 60 or 70%.
Bottom line is that we cannot go on locking down, easing up, locking down etc forever.

Fair point.

I am CEV and can tell you know I won't be sitting around for ever unable to go to work and hardly seeing anyone except on zoom.

And many will feel the same if there is no hope which the vaccine has given.

Let's hope its not as bad it sounds.

This is probably the dullest post on this thread, but today I put my coat on and went for a wheel around my neighbourhood. First time I think I've been out since the Wycombe game. Felt great to get some fresh air, but also weirdly unnerving, and I'm not classed as vulnerable.

It just made me long for the days when we're back at Dean Court in the freezing weather and I'm being nagged to put a coat on!

This is probably the dullest post on this thread, but today I put my coat on and went for a wheel around my neighbourhood. First time I think I've been out since the Wycombe game. Felt great to get some fresh air, but also weirdly unnerving, and I'm not classed as vulnerable.

It just made me long for the days when we're back at Dean Court in the freezing weather and I'm being nagged to put a coat on!

you were right

I think there are some in both the media and the medical profession that are determined to keep feeding us the negative stuff
Has anyone seen any actual data/figures stating how less effective the current vaccines are against the various variants?

I keep reading the same old lines which is there no evidence the current vaccines won't work against the variants, although we suspect they could be less effective, especially the SA variant. I want to see a % figure stating how less effective please and each day I never see one. Is it 1% less effective or 50% less effective? Why is there is no answer to this?!

;