Non - Pandemic

It's quite a thing how the generation that came after the war are much more nostalgic about it than those who lived through it. Almost as if those who lived through the horrors didn't really talk about them and so their children have a weirdly positive bias when discussing it. This odd nostalgia has had a large impact on our country's psyche.

Yeah..I think that's about accurate ..and as for the odd/ weird element ? I guess it is ...as kids it was a fascination..some of those involved wanted to talk of it..I got very graphic and grim stuff about the El Alemain battle from my dad when I probed ...but others clammed up...my grandfather would say nothing of WW1...and the big sea battles he was in..he got very irritated by my constant questions.
In about 20 years from now, virtually no one will talk of it...it'll just be Glastonbury, Brexit, Anfield, or Old Trafford they will drone on about !

The hotel quarantine plan will hardly be needed or used. Who is going to travel with that kind of restriction and cost when you get back. Its all playing to the crowd.

So where are all these people coming and going at Heathrow which we know about?

As Matt Hancock said, there shouldn’t be anyone from the UK leaving the country as it is against the law unless you have a good reason.

Don't worry people, action hero Jean-Claude Van Tam could be joining today's BoJo briefing.

Analogies about football and railways to help thick counts like me understand are on the way, hopefully.

Some good (last para) below and bad news.

A further 1,725 coronavirus deaths have been reported in the UK - a day after the number of COVID-19-related fatalities surpassed 100,000.

Since the start of the pandemic, a total of 101,887 people have now died in the UK within 28 days of a positive COVID test.

Another 25,308 cases were recorded in the latest 24 hour period - compared to the 20,089 infections that were confirmed yesterday.

A total of 7,164,387 people have received a first dose of a COVID vaccine.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-another-1-725-coronavirus-deaths-reported-in-the-uk-12200430

So where are all these people coming and going at Heathrow which we know about?

As Matt Hancock said, there shouldn’t be anyone from the UK leaving the country as it is against the law unless you have a good reason.
Wait and see BTK, at the moment travel is still permitted in certain circumstances, Brits coming home, foreign nationals going home. Lets be honest the airports are quieter than your local Tesco on a person per square metre basis.

Sky

• Boris Johnson leading Downing Street briefing at 5pm - alongside deputy CMO Professor Jonathan Van-Tam and chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance

Just looked at the list of outlawed countries where you have to go into quarantine.
One of them is Mauritius where my cousin lives, the last death they had was on April 27. Their current case count is 12 in the last week, the week before that was 9. If you come back from there you have to go into quarantine.
Then you look at Mexico which is not on the travel quarantine list. Yesterday they had 17,000 new cases and 1,743 new deaths.
Hmmmmmm:hmmm:

The study and data for this just doesn't exist yet, globally. Israel are further along in their rollout than anyone, and their early days findings are the best anyone in the world has on the matter currently, but its not enough yet. Of course it needs further investigation. And by more than just the UK I am sure.
The problem with the UK vaccine programme is they are delaying the second jab,
Denmark is about to receive another 80,000 vaccines but these will be used mainly as the second jab.
Also countries in milder climates the infections should decrease.

I don't understand what you see as the problem? Sage's advice all along has been that they don't know whether people who have been vaccinated are likely to pass on the disease. This study is aiming to find the answer.
A basic and vital piece of information that should be built in to the development and deployment of the vaccine surely ?

The problem with the UK vaccine programme is they are delaying the second jab,
Denmark is about to receive another 80,000 vaccines but these will be used mainly as the second jab.
Also countries in milder climates the infections should decrease.

Half a million people have had the second dose, presumably of the Pfizer vaccine.

There is little problem delaying the second dose of the Oxford vaccine, in fact some trials showed it improved efficiency.

Wait and see BTK, at the moment travel is still permitted in certain circumstances, Brits coming home, foreign nationals going home. Lets be honest the airports are quieter than your local Tesco on a person per square metre basis.
Why is TUI and Ryanair still flying holiday makers to the Canary Islands there are 4 or 5 flights going down and then coming back each day from Manchester.
Surely these flights should be cancelled.

A basic and vital piece of information that should be built in to the development and deployment of the vaccine surely ?
They are testing people who have the 2 shots so only those that have had the Pfizer vaccine at the moment. Only now are there enough people in the uk to carry out meaningful tests on whether these people can still spread the virus. You might as well ask Pfizer Biontech why they didn't have the answers from their trials.

Half a million people have had the second dose, presumably of the Pfizer vaccine.

There is little problem delaying the second dose of the Oxford vaccine, in fact some trials showed it improved efficiency.

The trials were passed on giving the second dose 3 weeks later not 12 weeks.
The only thing that is clear is that a second vaccination is absolutely essential because it triggers the necessary immune response, like a kind of booster.

The vaccine has been tested for efficacy and safety. They know it will restrict transmission as a side effect but not how big or small this effect will be. There's not been enough time or people involved in the trials to make a determination on this hence why they need to research this as the roll out continues.

What are you suggesting they should have done differently Jim? Let's hear it.

The only thing that is clear is that a second vaccination is absolutely essential because it triggers the necessary immune response, like a kind of booster.

Didn't the Oxford trials test the efficacy of longer periods between doses? Their CEO has said the gap isn't an issue for the Oxford one.

Didn't the Oxford trials test the efficacy of longer periods between doses? Their CEO has said the gap isn't an issue for the Oxford one.

In the case of the AstraZeneca/Oxford the second dose follows six weeks after the first, Data from AstraZeneca/Oxford showed that a delayed booster actually enhances the antibody response, the vaccine has a 65% efficacy,

The Pfizer vaccine showed 95% efficacy if the second dose was given after 3 weeks, trials were not done on a longer period of time more than 6 weeks.

Moderna vaccine showed 95% efficacy if the second dose was given after 4 weeks.

I agree I've posted similar as others will attest, in regards to the Pfizer vaccine, there is no data in regards to how efficient it is 12 weeks after just one dose, it's a shot in the dark by the UK in the hopes that immunity works for this virus as it does for others.

The Oxford vaccine, however, has data on all sorts of quirks due to a clusterf*** of errors during the global trials and they have data on longer intervals between doses.

In the case of the AstraZeneca/Oxford the second dose follows six weeks after the first, Data from AstraZeneca/Oxford showed that a delayed booster actually enhances the antibody response, the vaccine has a 65% efficacy,

The Pfizer vaccine showed 95% efficacy if the second dose was given after 3 weeks, trials were not done on a longer period of time more than 6 weeks.

Moderna vaccine showed 95% efficacy if the second dose was given after 4 weeks.

The other day doctors were asking for the Pfizer one to be reduced to 6 weeks if they can’t have the recommended 3 weeks.

You hear different medical people/scientists being interviewed about this and some are agreeing with the government decisions others not as much.

AstraZeneca vaccine they say the larger the gap the more effect it has.

So you start to wonder how much this is about politics and how much about the science.

;