NON - Poole Town FC

Could someone, itk, please explain to me just what has happened at Poole, including why Killick was sacked?

I would very much appreciate a sensible reply as, living in Manchester, it seems to have been a crazy suicidal week for the club.

Could someone, itk, please explain to me just what has happened at Poole, including why Killick was sacked?

I would very much appreciate a sensible reply as, living in Manchester, it seems to have been a crazy suicidal week for the club.
It’s an odd one and there will be people with a better idea than me. In short, and as balanced as I can be, from what i know, the club want to be in the league higher and feel that the team havent always hit the correct heights under Tommy and performed to the level of investment made. There are certain key games where they haven’t got up for it but the seasons as a whole are generally relatively successful without hitting the end goal.

I think there is a potential feeling that with the same board and same manager for many years there’s an acceptance on that. Recently the board have added a member or two, one of whom whose surname is Rossiter seems to have been instrumental in pushing for change. The straw that broke the camels back was another typical ‘Poole Town’ game where they had a great attendance and didn’t turn up against inferior local rivals Dorchester. Through that week they moved for Matt Tubbs who is well thought of and got him landed just before the cup game which Poole won 3-0 which added to the ‘why now’ that also includes fans saying ‘why not in the summer so they could bring players in’.

Tommy K also has an incredible loyalty from the players as well as the fans, four of whom have left instantly in disgust at the decision including some fairly pivotal ones. More are allegedly set to follow when they get other clubs lined up. This will either prove to be a stroke of genius if Tubbs can settle the squad and get them winning or the stupidest thing done in local football for a long time. I’d say 20% of the fans think the former and 80% the latter on the ones I know but that may not be representative.

If you think how it felt here when Eddie left, leaving aside it’s a very different level of football, 30 odd years with the same boss who was riven through every aspect of the club it will take a big big turnaround to settle it. To me it seems odd but I have also seen them play below their capabilities in a number of games so kind of see the other side.

It’s an odd one and there will be people with a better idea than me. In short, and as balanced as I can be, from what i know, the club want to be in the league higher and feel that the team havent always hit the correct heights under Tommy and performed to the level of investment made. There are certain key games where they haven’t got up for it but the seasons as a whole are generally relatively successful without hitting the end goal.

I think there is a potential feeling that with the same board and same manager for many years there’s an acceptance on that. Recently the board have added a member or two, one of whom whose surname is Rossiter seems to have been instrumental in pushing for change. The straw that broke the camels back was another typical ‘Poole Town’ game where they had a great attendance and didn’t turn up against inferior local rivals Dorchester. Through that week they moved for Matt Tubbs who is well thought of and got him landed just before the cup game which Poole won 3-0 which added to the ‘why now’ that also includes fans saying ‘why not in the summer so they could bring players in’.

Tommy K also has an incredible loyalty from the players as well as the fans, four of whom have left instantly in disgust at the decision including some fairly pivotal ones. More are allegedly set to follow when they get other clubs lined up. This will either prove to be a stroke of genius if Tubbs can settle the squad and get them winning or the stupidest thing done in local football for a long time. I’d say 20% of the fans think the former and 80% the latter on the ones I know but that may not be representative.

If you think how it felt here when Eddie left, leaving aside it’s a very different level of football, 30 odd years with the same boss who was riven through every aspect of the club it will take a big big turnaround to settle it. To me it seems odd but I have also seen them play below their capabilities in a number of games so kind of see the other side.

Thanks, Neil. That was very helpful.

Good writeup.

One point I was unsure of, was whether you meant 4 players or 4 fans had left. Losing 50% of their fan base would surely hurt ;)

A great response from him, very classy.
Hopefully, after a short break, he will get back into football in some capacity, should he decide that he wants to.
The new manager has a hard act to follow, that's for sure !

Thanks for posting :thumbup:

Crowds should be a little better too. Wimborne & Bashley getting better crowds, compared to size of place.

Just had a look on the excellent 'Non league matters' site. Easy to waste valuable time on there as they do average crowds too.

A great response from him, very classy.
Hopefully, after a short break, he will get back into football in some capacity, should he decide that he wants to.
The new manager has a hard act to follow, that's for sure !

Thanks for posting :thumbup:
Classy indeed. A parallel with Eddie is some respects, not being able to say goodbye after so long.

Worst run since pre-Tommy days.

They steadied themselves after a bit of an exodus, then Tony Lee decided he wanted out, too.

But no chance Tubbs will be show the door. Rossiter and the board took too much of a chance on sacking Tommy to bring him in.

New stadium is their whole focus. No future in where they get to and stay in the Southern Conference at Tatnam - they've played the least number of games in the league due to postponements, failing floodlights etc... by the end of the month Dorchester could be above them in the league.

Well..they shouldn't have sacked Killick. Suicidal.

Tubbs was a good player with a great scoring record.
Being a good manager might not naturally follow ..we saw that with Shearer at Newcastle.

Waterlogged Tatnam with it's obviously high water table and inadequate drainage a stones throw from Holes Bay is a massive problem for Poole...f√ck me ..they should be in Poole Stadium where they belong !

What is it with Stadiums in the BH postcode ?

I don't know..I really despair for my home - town area...is it something in the balmy, pine-tree scented sea air....whereupon things don't get done ?

Boscombe's 'Training Ground' ready for the 2024-25 season ?
0nly asking..just asking that's all !

The statement and comments:

We have confidence that in Matt Tubbs and his coaching team we have a bright young manager backed by the right mix of experience and youthful enthusiasm and innovation. He has a number of matches to tuen it around, or we will sack him too.

Matt is in the process of creating his own squad ready to challenge for the league title and promotion to the NLS and beyond. That is not easy to do mid campaign. Shít, why did we get rid of Killick?

Being a good manager might not naturally follow ..we saw that with Shearer at Newcastle.

Waterlogged Tatnam with it's obviously high water table and inadequate drainage a stones throw from Holes Bay is a massive problem for Poole...f√ck me ..they should be in Poole Stadium where they belong !

I don't know..I really despair for my home - town area...is it something in the balmy, pine-tree scented sea air....whereupon things don't get done ?

No. They shouldn't have done. Or, as is their right, waited until the end of the season. Let him have his 20 years - 1 final promotion push.

The owner had his own personal reasons for the timing of the 'sacking'...apparently.

New ground...maybe something in the way of an announcement in the not too distant future? I'm not convinced, but others are.

I can confirm the new training ground is proceeding at considerable pace. The indoor pitch is complete and is being used. The admin/medical/fitness building is virtually structurally complete. All of the outside training pitches have been levelled and drainage installed. I would think they are well on schedule for the date stated which was I think Sept 2024.

;