Non - Pub Of The Year

Is that the one back in the early 80s, had a music license but not a dance license? So on Regatta day, there would be a load of pissed-up rowers ( having been drinking all day because it was a rarity to have a chance to drink all day) could listen to but couldn't stomp around to Madness or Dexys : )

I think that may well have been The (Sinking) Ship next door, a once brilliant pub that has been touristy shite for 30 years.
Currently there are no 'proper' pubs in Swanage; other than the White Swan if you are one of the local 'elites'. (I don't venture in, I'd probably get a smack in the mouth from some local that still bears a grudge from 40 years ago. Swanage is like that.)

The place is wasteland unless you want rubbish overpriced food, screaming children and poorly kept beer; then there's no problem, take your pick.

Been eating there for years. Never had a bad meal.

Can see why, had a very good meal outside there tonight for my wife’s birthday.

Also a very nice garden with plenty of tables and some under cover on the patio.

Surprised they they also take your order at the table and don’t have to go inside as a lot of pubs.

Very quick and friendly service, can see how they won the Echo pub of the year award.

If you asked for a packet of salt'n'vinegar at the Avon Causeway back in the 70's when Joe Palmer used to run it you would get a scathing look, followed by a packet of plain crisps with the words theres your salt and your vinegar while pointing to a bottle of sarsons and a salt cellar! And his scotch eggs were something to behold, took a braver man than me to try one !!!
Blimey...Joe Palmer, that's a blast from the past....used to do bar work for him for a while.....at the end of the night all the drip trays and slops, including Guinness were poured into a jug and poured into the IPA barrel !! Lots of comments that the IPA was the best in the area..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stocks very average in my opinion. If its a foodie pub you want further north and west yuo go in Dorset the better.
Bear in wareham
Langton arms , tarrant langton,
Cricketers , shroton,
Acorn, evershot
Fleur de lys , cranbourne
All independent and not cheap but worth it.

I think that may well have been The (Sinking) Ship next door, a once brilliant pub that has been touristy shite for 30 years.
Currently there are no 'proper' pubs in Swanage; other than the White Swan if you are one of the local 'elites'. (I don't venture in, I'd probably get a smack in the mouth from some local that still bears a grudge from 40 years ago. Swanage is like that.)

The place is wasteland unless you want rubbish overpriced food, screaming children and poorly kept beer; then there's no problem, take your pick.
Had a good pint in the Black Swan the other day. Bloke in there asked if I knew you.......................................;)

In the school holidays I used visit Swanage with my parents via the paddle steamer from Bournemouth Pier.

At the time on the seafront there was an arcade with a horse racing game and you would sit on a stall pay your shillings and try to beat others by rolling a ball down and when it went down a hole the horses moved along, the faster and accurate you were the fastest the horses went and if you won, which I did once you got a prize. :grinning:

Another thing I remember about Swanage Pier was once there was a game of water polo taking place just to the side of the pier, not sure if they still do that.

These days when we go into Swanage by car, we intend to go straight up to Durlston Country Park and not into town.

Thought I would share that bit of useless information with you and this below, of the history of paddle steamers in our area.

https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2016/09/paddling-in-the-bay/

Last edited:
In the school holidays I used visit Swanage with my parents via the paddle steamer from Bournemouth Pier.

At the time on the seafront there was an arcade with a horse racing game and you would sit on a stall pay your shillings and try to beat others by rolling a ball down and when it went down a hole the horses moved along, the faster and accurate you were the fastest the horses went and if you won, which I did once you got a prize. :grinning:

Another thing I remember about Swanage Pier was once there was a game of water polo taking place just to the side of the pier, not sure if they still do that.

These days when we go into Swanage by car, we intend to go straight up to Durlston Country Park and not into town.

Thought I would share that bit of useless information with you and this below, of the history of paddle steamers in our area.

I always liked visiting the castle and the Tilly Whim caves back in the 70's.
Durlston-Globe-IMG_1551KevinFerrioli.jpg

No never visited the inn. but I used to deliver beer and soda's to the castle, when working for Watney's, our route was all corners of Dorset.

I see the Waverley is back next month.

;