NON: Reading

kirsikka

UTC Legend
£35m lost last season alone. If they go down surely admin is beckoning? Or do they have a rich owner underwriting them now?

At the same time, it's an abyss we have to be wary of if we don't take our chance this season. Heck, even when we were getting the PL money we still lost loads so not sure what the answer is.

About one month until our accounts come out. Interesting reading ahead ..

I remember all the ‘hype’ when John Madejski took over at Reading just over 34-years ago.

Then his new stadium opened just under eight years later.

The ups and downs of being a football fan.

Their fans are experiencing the lows now, just like we did going back a few years now.

It's May 2017 and 22,000 fans are packed into the Madejski Stadium on a cool, overcast spring evening.

Reading have just booked themselves a place in the Championship play-off final with a 2-1 aggregate win over Fulham, thanks to a Yann Kermorgant penalty.

Fans rush on to the pitch to celebrate.

Those who have stayed in the stands wave their flags as cameras flash around the ground to capture the moment under the night sky.

There was a renewed sense of hope and excitement that Reading Football Club was on the way up.

The bright lights of the Premier League were now just one game away.

I know we are meant to find this quite amusing and tribalism sets in, but... a rich person buys a club, pumps in millions and then becomes disenchanted...
Clubs goes into free fall.
I believe we need to support the Reading fans however we can.

The bigger point is what safeguards have we got in place if Bill decides he doesn't want to play with his new toy and becomes bored?
Or, is there Succession planning? And I don't mean Brian Cox or even Ian Cox...

Just look what happened to Pompey.

As we went up they were gradually going down.

Like Reading had Madejski, Pompey had Milan Mandaric and saw success.

So while we had Max D and saw the really good times with him and Eddie H, we now have Bill Foley and Andoni Iraola and are seeing changes at our club with a real entertaining and effective style of football from our first foreign manager.

But as with Reading and Pompey that ‘bubble’ could burst.

We as fans have been through that period, with the time of the Winter Gardens etc.

So let’s just enjoy what we have now and let the future take care of itself.

The securities around clubs like us Portsmouth Wigan Reading..Derby and Bolton who have tasted the PL sugar are always going to be fragile and dependent on owners having integrity and sensible ambitions…but as we often see those dreams get ransacked when it comes to the gambles going wrong…

We must always understand that fast as we rise we could fall

The securities around clubs like us Portsmouth Wigan Reading..Derby and Bolton who have tasted the PL sugar are always going to be fragile and dependent on owners having integrity and sensible ambitions…but as we often see those dreams get ransacked when it comes to the gambles going wrong…

We must always understand that fast as we rise we could fall
That’s one thing we can thank Eddie Mitchell for, he turned down the Russians that wanted to take over our club.

They eventually took over at Pompey and the rest is history.

I would have been a bit pissed off if I had travelled down from Port Vale for 16 minutes of football.
Reminds me of when we played Luton away, a midweek game called off moments before kickoff because of the weather/fog. Frustrating to say the least, compounded by Luton initially refusing to give refunds in favour of honouring tickets for the replay.

I know we are meant to find this quite amusing and tribalism sets in, but... a rich person buys a club, pumps in millions and then becomes disenchanted...
Clubs goes into free fall.
I believe we need to support the Reading fans however we can.
"We need to support the Reading fans however we can" ? LOL!

Reading away a long time ago - home fans chanted: "Who's the w*nker in the blue?"

Our reply: "You're the w*nkers in the blue!" LOL!

Last edited:
"We need to support the Reading fans however we can" ? LOL!

Reading away a long time ago - home fans chanted: "Who's the w*nker in the blue?"

Our reply: "You're the w*nkers in the blue!" LOL!
I know it’s made me realise I’m from a different generation reading this board today.

People in favour of helping Southampton get promoted and other people feeling sorry for Reading

Beginning to think people singing the song about Brighton, Reading, Pompey and scummers don’t mean it anymore…

Changed days…. Fuck them both as far as I’m concerned.

I know it’s made me realise I’m from a different generation reading this board today.

People in favour of helping Southampton get promoted and other people feeling sorry for Reading

Beginning to think people singing the song about Brighton, Reading, Pompey and scummers don’t mean it anymore…

Changed days…. Fuck them both as far as I’m concerned.
Without them though…

I’m not too fussed about either, but the state of football concerns me. Maybe it’ll just keep growing.

Without them though…

I’m not too fussed about either, but the state of football concerns me. Maybe it’ll just keep growing.
I’m with you on the state of football and the irresponsibility of owners, the one sided implementation of FPP rules and the fact that the only people that ever suffer are the fans but…. It’s Reading ‘we’ll never play you again’ their fans sang and Southampton. Happy for the former to disappear and the latter not get promotion!

Reminds me of when we played Luton away, a midweek game called off moments before kickoff because of the weather/fog. Frustrating to say the least, compounded by Luton initially refusing to give refunds in favour of honouring tickets for the replay.
I drove all the way to Newcastle only for the game to be called off after about 10 minutes The replay was fun, though.

;