Non - RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
Melancholy day for many Canadians with the passing of Gordon Lightfoot at 84.

He is quite possibly the most iconic of Canadian musical artists. His stories in song were Canadiana, about small towns, tragedies and great accomplishments. Or just about love.

He was a private guy who hated the public eye, and had a stormy relationship with media, the music companies, other musicians and even the fans. "Ornery" would be a good word. But his songs were mythical and heart-rendering.

I say melancholy, because many fans have expected this for years. Very much like David Crosby earlier this year, we often wondered how he made it this far. He had health scares and in 2010 he was erroneously announced as dead. We won't be so lucky this time.

I first saw him at our University Winter Carnival. Can't remember if it was my junior or senior year. He was already a big star, and to get him for Carnival was a huge coup. I have lasting memories of that evening.

I have posted Lightfoot songs on here before, and I could fill an NEJ on his material alone. He is probably best known over there for the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which still gets radio play every November 10. I will provide 3:

The first is one of my favourite Christmas songs, although technically it is more about winter.
The second is an epic history lesson and an ode to the men and women who built the railway to the east and west - still cited as one of the main contributions to the national fabric of Canada.
The third is a simple love song.

RIP Gordon Lightfoot.

A brilliant writer and artist/performer who made my (much) younger days all the more enjoyable. A sad loss. RIP.
Yeah, rnb, wrestling with it a bit today. Playing much of his music, fondly remembering the times.
I did avoid the word "sad" because over here we expected it for quite a while. He did have a tour planned and when shows were cancelled, we knew that wasn't a good sign.

Yeah, rnb, wrestling with it a bit today. Playing much of his music, fondly remembering the times.
I did avoid the word "sad" because over here we expected it for quite a while. He did have a tour planned and when shows were cancelled, we knew that wasn't a good sign.
Ah, I didn’t realise it was expected but it’s still sad nonetheless. Another legend gone.

Ah, I didn’t realise it was expected but it’s still sad nonetheless. Another legend gone.
Yessir. I am still trying to see as many "dinosaur" bands before they either pack it in (one way or the other) or become parodies of themselves. Aerosmith just announced a summer tour ..... a band which I have never seen, to my own surprise .... and Stephen Tyler has had yet another health/sobriety issue, so that seems like one I should try to get to.

;