Non - RIP Greg Lake

lijaboc

Star Player
Yet another one gone this year, has there ever been such a bad year for celebrities

A very talented musician with Emerson, Lake and Palmer and also King Crimson, and also local lad from the Poole/Bournemouth area

First gig I ever attended, ELP at the Winter Gardens 1972 (?). Very impressive to a 16 year old Table, I got a record player for my 60th this year, one of the first albums I played was Trilogy and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it after all these decades. As you say lijaboc, very talented singer and musician, local as well, RIP.

First E, then L, only P left. : )

Great shame - a real local talent, first with King Crimson and then ELP. I saw him a couple of times at the Winter Gardens with ELP and he was a great live performer. RIP.

That is a shock. Oakdale's finest.

I had Trilogy on a cassette tape and I wore it out!

Cynic in me wonders if his Xmas single gets re-released now.

Saw him at the Winter Gardens with Gary Moore in 81-82, what a great show that was, showcasing the first album they did together. Was never really into the ELP stuff but loved that album at the time and the gig was fantastic, great musicians going for it and having fun

Unlike the BBC report which said he was born in Bournemouth,

This is more accurate:

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/14954904.UPDATE__I_Believe_in_Father_Christmas_singer_Greg_Lake_dies/

lijaboc - 8/12/2016 13:48

Yet another one gone this year, has there ever been such a bad year for celebrities

Before WW2 there wasn't a cult of celebrity - the explosion of popular music/movies started in the 50's/60's. Those celebs are now getting old and pegging out.
Pretty obvious really!

Did I read somewhere that he worked at BAC prior to embarking on his musical career? A local lad made good, we are so proud of you. Farewell brother.

Shared a desk with Gregory for two years at Oakdale Juniors. Even at age 10 he sported an Elvis string tie (height of teenage fashion) and danced a good jive. Then a great career - a pioneer.

RIP Greg. I was a great fan of King Crimson and ELP. Was at that concert at the Winter Gardens in '72. I have somewhere the Shy Limbs 45 Reputation/ Love which reached the charts and was one of Greg's first local groups

;