Non - Rory Stewart

billythekid

UTC Legend
He talks a lot of sense, basically the same could be said for the person who took over when Ben Wallace an ex military man stood down as Secretary of State for Defence.

"You could not run a fish and chip shop the way the British government is run. It's insane" Rory Stewart told Trevor Phillips.

I like him. He tried to improve prisons and laid his reputation on the line to do it. His podcast with (balancing the views of) Alastair Campbell is excellent where he is (or used to be) forthright. He is a one nation remainer so got purged by Boris.

But he made a mess of a bid for London mayor and performed strangely inTory leadership debates.

It looks like he is considering standing for parliament again, but this seems to coincide with starting to talk obtusely like a politician again.

I like him. He tried to improve prisons and laid his reputation on the line to do it. His podcast with (balancing the views of) Alastair Campbell is excellent where he is (or used to be) forthright. He is a one nation remainer so got purged by Boris.

But he made a mess of a bid for London mayor and performed strangely inTory leadership debates.

It looks like he is considering standing for parliament again, but this seems to coincide with starting to talk obtusely like a politician again.
Completely agree on the Podcast he does with Campbell, between them they talk a lot of sense. He's doing the rounds at the moment to promote his book, this podcast from last week also worth a listen

Completely agree on the Podcast he does with Campbell, between them they talk a lot of sense. He's doing the rounds at the moment to promote his book, this podcast from last week also worth a listen

Isn't it strange how normal and sensible politicians become (and dare say it, almost likeable) after they leave politics...

Isn't it strange how normal and sensible politicians become (and dare say it, almost likeable) after they leave politics...
Same as Australian cricketers when they become pundits (Warne, Mcgrath etc). I also think that's what RS is trying to say, he found the political system is impossible to be part of without being ruined

The podcast is "The Rest is Politics"

I also enjoy The News Agents. Former BBC news staff allowed to say it as it now they are employed by LBC. (Jon Sopel & Emily Maitlis)

“The Rest is Politics” is superb. For a former Tory, Stewart is very likeable and a return to influential politics would be good for him (and us).

“The News Agents” can be good sometimes, for sure, but it’s definitely a lot more sensationalist and simplified, being a Global production. I find myself getting frustrated with the slow nature of re-making the same point over and over.

What a good thread.

Their podcast is a welcome example that people with differing views can treat eachother with civility and respect, can challenge and be challenged, and can find common ground.

If only...

He talks a lot of sense, basically the same could be said for the person who took over when Ben Wallace an ex military man stood down as Secretary of State for Defence.

"You could not run a fish and chip shop the way the British government is run. It's insane" Rory Stewart told Trevor Phillips.

He's right, it's absurd. Which is why many people have been campaigning for parliamentary reform for years. But why back your principles by joining a progressive party that wants to change things when you can join the Conservative party and be whipped into voting against progressive reform.

I've far from exhausted the volumes of stuff he puts out but I've never found him that informative or engaging.

In his example above he neglects to mention that there is a chief/cabinet secretary provided by the civil service that is there to be an interface for the MP. The MPs role is to be an agent of government policy not to run the business. This is deliberate because you need the civil service to operate regardless of the mp assigned.

It's far from perfect and IMO gives the civil service a bit too much autonomy at times. I think that and the combination of having their own strongly held political stance is where the spate of bullying accusations came from.

Rory is no longer an MP but still seems to play politics for his own fiscal gain.

Last edited:
I notice The Rest is Football, The Rest is Politics, The Rest is Money and The Rest is History are the top 4 in the podcast charts.
All Goalhanger productions - Gary Linekar must be making another fortune.
All good listens though.

I give you Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax MP for South Dorset. Selfless for the people of South Dorset.
At least those who may have been former slave traders, still own a sugar plantation in Barbados, a grouse moor in Scotland, properties on Sandbanks, land owners or fox hunters. (Which is probably half of us on the forum)

You seriously think it's just a Conservative Party issue?
It is a serious issue for the Conservative party which has caused its decline and fall.

Self serving elected members may be found in other political parties but the mantra of self before party before country is very definitely favoured and tolerated by the conservative party members

;