Non - Ryan Yates and Other PL "Rats"

We've had our own rats in the past who we have adored, Lerma, Arter, Heffernan Whitlock etc.

If we had one now it would be great, but we don't.

Let's not complain about other teams rats.

Vinnie Jones was the complete nut case.
sent off 12 times. once quoted as saying
"I've taken violence off the terracing and onto the pitch"

This is a name that will probably only be familiar to older generations on here, but without a doubt the nastiest, sneakiest, meanest piece of work I have ever seen on a football pitch is Terry Paine, and I remember that horrible collection of players at 1970s Leeds. The sad thing about it is that he was also an exceptionally talented player.
Paine was not too savoury off the pitch either apparently....
Ray Ames, now deceased, formerly of Poole Town, Weymouth and Dorchester told me that while at Southampton as an apprentice in circa 66/67 he was told to 'understudy' Paine...but Terry wouldn't speak to him or acknowledge his presence around The Dell...but he could 'make an appointment' through the manager Ted Bates for a coaching session with him !
He also said that Paine became almost totally unapproachable to All after he became an International and would regularly bollock or get snappy with others in training ...a real miserable prat...but that he was extremely fit and rarely injured...and although Ray was on the verge of a first team place..it didn't happen, only in a couple of friendlies, and he eventually went off to Weymouth.
Ray was a great bloke and would mix with Poole fans in the Swan pub on the Quay in his latter career days.

Last edited:
Vinnie Jones was the complete nut case.
sent off 12 times. once quoted as saying
"I've taken violence off the terracing and onto the pitch"
I dont think he was a complete nutcase. Bully, yes. He chose his targets carefully. When Mick Harford joined Wimbledon, he got a pass from any of Wimbledon's 'initiations'. These were generally led by Jones. He also avoided Billy Whitehurst.

Last edited:
We've had our own rats in the past who we have adored, Lerma, Arter, Heffernan Whitlock etc.

If we had one now it would be great, but we don't.

Let's not complain about other teams rats.
Whitlock? You’re joking right?

;