Non-Saudi Golf

What makes me laugh is that the principle reason most players left the PGA to join LIV was more money playing less golf so more time to spend with their families.
Surely they will be playing more golf now?

Players on the PGA Tour have turned down so much money. Between Tiger, Rory and Matsuyama it's the best part of $2bn alone in guaranteed prize money / sign on bonuses. All that money given up for the idea of legacy, only for your CEO to stab you in the back anyway and take the money himself when they could have had both.

There's a reason none of the big players that stayed on the PGA Tour have commented on it yet, they're livid. I don't see how Jay's position will be tenable whatever happens, whether that's it not going through or at the branded new tour. The players won't want him.

I expect the new tour will be some sort of World Tour taking the Rolex events from the European Tour and the elevated events from the PGA Tour. I think LIV will remain but probably rebranded under a similar banner as the team events. If it all goes through, of course. Ultimately those of us that watch golf, watch it to see the players, not the CEOs, so it really does depend what they do.

On a business level how does this work? Have the Saudi’s virtually bought Golf?

The devil in the detail isn't released yet, the deal isn't done either. The PGA Tour is a not-for-profit organisation and will still exist. It will have the most board seats on the new for-profit organisation which will run the events. All rules and officials etc. will still go through the PGA Tour.

Yup!

Im conflicted over this. Obvious concerns as there are over Newcastle. At the same time, I can understand the need to refresh the ownerships of sports from time to time. Using F1 as an example... the poison dwarf had too much power for too long over an entire sport. We've had many a discussion over potential split series due to mismanagement.

To bring it back to football...FIFA is "starting" to get its act together but sometimes organisations need serious pressure on them to do what is best for the sport not their own pockets. The Blatter years are a dark stain on the organisation but he had complete dictatorial control which he used to line his pockets.

Edited to add: At the end of the day, the question always comes up on who actually owns a sport. The PGA tour doesnt own the sport of golf.

Yup!

Im conflicted over this. Obvious concerns as there are over Newcastle. At the same time, I can understand the need to refresh the ownerships of sports from time to time. Using F1 as an example... the poison dwarf had too much power for too long over an entire sport. We've had many a discussion over potential split series due to mismanagement.

To bring it back to football...FIFA is "starting" to get its act together but sometimes organisations need serious pressure on them to do what is best for the sport not their own pockets. The Blatter years are a dark stain on the organisation but he had complete dictatorial control which he used to line his pockets.

Edited to add: At the end of the day, the question always comes up on who actually owns a sport. The PGA tour doesnt own the sport of golf.

Monahan's position must be untenable. Rory and Co. turned down gazillions to stay loyal to the PGA Tour..... watch this space...
Great to see the Yanks getting a bit of their own medicine. Totally destroyed the European ( DP ) Tour with their greed- how ironic !
The hypocrisy is breathtaking. I Golfers playing in Qatar and Dubai taking the moral high ground about a Saudi backed Tour- laughable. As for Rory saying that Koepka should play for the US in the Ryder Cup but Sergio should not play for Europe- deluded.

Rumours coming out the player meeting last night that there was a cheer from about 90% of them when they called for new leadership of the PGA Tour.

I heard that they are going to divide it up so that the PGA are in charge of holes 1-8 and 12-18. Whereas the Saudi's are responsible for 9-11. :throw:
Badum Tss GIFs | Tenor

It's a good job you don't believe in religion because otherwise you'd be going to hell for laughing at that.

If I believed in religion and the suiciders believed in their religion, could I be angry at them wanting to get into heaven or by disagreeing with them we both get into our different heavens?...its so confusing.

What is for sure...allowing gifs will revolutionise reactions on this forum and I like it!
Awkward Black GIF - Awkward Black Kid - Discover & Share GIFs

Very much sums up my thoughts on the overall topic of "sports washing" and pretty much what I posted in the Newcastle thread. Not that I've ever bought into that term anyway. Jay has still thrown everyone under a bus but at the end of the day, Professional Sport is a business and it's the holding people in sports to a higher standard than politicians and billionaires that winds me up.

;