Non - Son Heung-min

SteveJonesLegend

Fans' Favourite
..."Tottenham are facing up to the prospect of losing cult hero Son Heung-min to … the South Korean Army. The 26-year-old is required to do two years’ national service before the age of 28."

Crazy stuff... To think even someone of his stature will have to give it all up to do national service...!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/14/football-transfer-rumours-jack-wilshere-and-phil-jones-to-everton

If that's the ruling of that country why should he be immune! ..unless he becomes a British citizen by arrangement. It won't happen will it - money will take care of that unfortunately.
If not he shouldn't have much trouble getting in their Army team!

Exemptions are available for some sports people and I would imagine he'll get one as he's such a big star and important to the national team. Nothing in it.

There are ways around getting it reduced, but it is still enforced regardless of who you are. This was the chap at Swansea back in 2016:

"Ki, however, will only have to serve four weeks this summer – likely to include basic military training – having been granted a reduction for winning an Olympic medal as part of the 2012 London Games side that defeated Team GB at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium."

"He said at the time: “I was thinking I would go back to Korea to do my military service for two years, join a Korean club and then retire – but now I can change my plan."

“No-one expected us to beat Team GB so we went crazy afterwards. We’d prepared for the Olympics for three years, so we knew how big the victory was."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-midfielder-ki-sung-11329862

Surprised the Spurs fans never adapted the Nice one Cyril song and updated to present by replacing Cyril for Harry (and obviously keeping Son in the lyrics!)
Perhaps they’re just all far too young to remember Cyril Knowles!w

SteveJonesLegend - 14/3/2018 12:23

..."Tottenham are facing up to the prospect of losing cult hero Son Heung-min to … the South Korean Army. The 26-year-old is required to do two years’ national service before the age of 28."

Crazy stuff... To think even someone of his stature will have to give it all up to do national service...!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/14/football-transfer-rumours-jack-wilshere-and-phil-jones-to-everton

Elvis Presley did his national service.

Wouldn't want them to in this country to be fair, diluting the forces with a bunch of amateurs, disgusting idea. Maybe some kind of community service, meals on wheels, childcare, gardening that'd be fine, run along institution lines, but actual service, no bloody thanks

If N/Service was organised and controlled with some effective filtering process if could be to the advantage of the country and for lots of young people that appear to have no prospects or direction at present.

When it was used in the fifties there were some inherent problems but it tended to work well for many especially northeners and Scots/ Irish etc but there were problems (with London boys mainly) according to older guys I served with that remembered those days.

;