Non - Souness

He was watching a mans game, 22 players, 18 subs, 3 officials, all men.

The whole thing taken out of context by the sort of people that make the UK the laughing stock of the world.
I think it’s others who are doing that.

And the apologist line that he was talking about one specific game is slightly disingenuous.

100% this.
I know what Souness meant, but these days it's a somewhat unfortunate choice of phrase he used, and there probably wouldnt have been such a fuss in some quarters if he'd had added 'in the context of this match'.

Exactly. Carney didn't say anything and I'm sure she didn't take offense. Like most sensible women footballers.

I mean he was commenting on a MEN'S football match.

I watch Women's Football occasionally...local low grade stuff .. it's often more brutal tackling than the local guys...more entertaining...easily as skillful...and a better watch than the PL...... they rarely dive for free kicks and penalties.
When in conversation with some of them after the game ..they talk about the facets of the game in exactly the same way as men .

Feet are equally as identifiable as feet..on men or women... the ball is the same type used by men !

Foot.. Ball..

The game as played by Women for England tends to involve more lifting of trophies!

:shrug:

Any chance that there is a link of the video and the full context? If it was a football type cliche then fine, otherwise....

Having said that my bar is usually set at, seriously people need to be less offended by ****************

What has gender got to do with how physical a game is? He wasn't stating "look its a game of football and men are playing" he was saying "now it's a man's game because it's got more physical"

The 2 things aren't linked, that's the point. It's an old fashioned way of expressing something that doesn't help the legacy of sexism and toxic masculinity in this country. I suspect he didn't mean anything by it, but it should be called out. Things move on, like I no longer use the word 'gay' as an insult or light hearted way to describe something I don't like. Do I feel like my free speech has been suppressed? Has it adversely affected my life? No. I just accept that things move on and part of the world is a slightly better place thanks to increased tolerance and inclusivity.

Sex has everything to do with the physicality of the respective games. Men are more physically aggressive, faster, stronger and more powerful therefore the physicality of the men's game is always going to be more dominated by these characteristics than the woman's game.

The contrast between the styles is one of the great things about having men and women playing the same game and is why the women's game provides something for the viewer that the men's game doesn't.

If souness had said, if the defender didn't yell man on to his full back ... does he ned to throat clear and say, in the context of the mans game we are watching yelling man on is important.

Sex has everything to do with the physicality of the respective games. Men are more physically aggressive, faster, stronger and more powerful therefore the physicality of the men's game is always going to be more dominated by these characteristics than the woman's game.

The contrast between the styles is one of the great things about having men and women playing the same game and is why the women's game provides something for the viewer that the men's game doesn't.

So if a women's game is more physically agressive than usual, should we call it a man's game (more akin to what Souness remembers playing in the 70s) or a women's game?

or should we just say it's more physical because gender has absolutely nothing to do with it...

So if a women's game is more physically agressive than usual, should we call it a man's game (more akin to what Souness remembers playing in the 70s) or a women's game?

or should we just say it's more physical because gender has absolutely nothing to do with it...

Am I missing something here? You call the women's game the women's game, the men's game the men's game and a spade a spade.

Am I missing something here? You call the women's game the women's game, the men's game the men's game and a spade a spade.

Snigger....

Reminds of one of the funniest Young Ones sketches - Neil looking at the camera holding a spade..

Looks at Spade - 'You're a spade!'....

Looks at camera....'I always call him that'

Yes you are. Stating facts "oh look this particular game is a men's game" not a problem. Saying a game is "a men's game" because it's more physical than usual is problematic for the reasons I have mentioned above.

och in my day I would have scissored him and he would have picked up his severed leg and beat me with it. Just a talking to by the ref and game on

Yes you are. Stating facts "oh look this particular game is a men's game" not a problem. Saying a game is "a men's game" because it's more physical than usual is problematic for the reasons I have mentioned above.

I don't agree. The men's game is more physical as a matter of fact. Therefore the more physical it is the more characteristically male it is.

I don't agree. The men's game is more physical as a matter of fact. Therefore the more physical it is the more characteristically male it is.
Can’t agree SDD. Women’s game is as physical as the men’s in terms of contact, it’s just the whacks aren’t as hard.

That only works on average, you also get physical women's games and physical female players. Should we be calling them "characteristically male"? What about men's teams that are built around skill and flair over strength and aggression? Are they less "manly"? Where are we drawing the line and are amateur games allowed to be considered "men's games" if both sides would get physically battered by an elite women's team?

It's absolute nonsense. Gender has nothing to do with comparing physicality and thankfully my son will never have to live in a world where he is taught that he has to be physically agressive to be a man or manly.

;