Non - Space Race

Unless there's a woman with three tits there like in Total Recall I can honestly say it doesn't excite me one bit.
Too true. Space is just the next part of the universe we will manage to eff up by being totally negligent, having already done a bang up job on the nice planet we were given to live on. I wonder how long it will be before all of these space adventurers start moaning about all of the space junk we've left orbiting our planet ruining their view ! Actually if we carry on as we have done so far, soon you won't be able to find a gap in all of the space junk to safely and successfully leave earth orbit. Only a matter of time IMO :slap:

I think this money could be much better spent solving the problems we've created down here tbh. That would be to the benefit of all and not just the elite few ( NOT the forum elite btw. :p ).

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between space exploration and space tourism.

The former contributes many positive things to our development as a species and understanding of the universe.

The latter, in the midst of an environmentally critical time for our species with huge levels of wealth inequality shows how much we still have to learn.

Still, I'm sure a child starving in Sub-Saharan Africa will be inspired now that a geriatric celebrity has left the atmosphere for a few minutes.

There's a huge difference between space exploration and space tourism.

The former contributes many positive things to our development as a species and understanding of the universe.

The latter, in the midst of an environmentally critical time for our species with huge levels of wealth inequality shows how much we still have to learn.

Still, I'm sure a child starving in Sub-Saharan Africa will be inspired now that a geriatric celebrity has left the atmosphere for a few minutes.

Whilst I do agree. It does inspire the next generation and excite people which also helps the former.

Whilst I do agree. It does inspire the next generation and excite people which also helps the former.

I'm not really convinced what space tourism inspires that space exploration doesn't

Perhaps a disregard for the planet in favor of a quick fix of adrenaline, if that's what we want our next generation to aspire to. I'd much rather be inspiring the next generation to be changing the world for the better. That's far more exciting.

I'm not really convinced what space tourism inspires that space exploration doesn't

Perhaps a disregard for the planet in favor of a quick fix of adrenaline, if that's what we want our next generation to aspire to. I'd much rather be inspiring the next generation to be changing the world for the better. That's far more exciting.

Frequency.

If you have a space mad youngster who wants to watch launches and then goes on to want to learn about the planets and all things space, it’s great.

Saving the planet at this age is all about recycling and switching the bloody lights off…

Frequency.

If you have a space mad youngster who wants to watch launches and then goes on to want to learn about the planets and all things space, it’s great.

Saving the planet at this age is all about recycling and switching the bloody lights off…

Indeed - remember when all the Space Shuttle launches were such a big deal and a really exciting thing ?
Every launch was televised, we would watch or talk about them at school and at home-inspirational stuff .

Reactions: DJ
Frequency.

Don't get this logic in the slightest. Did interest in planets and space completely disappear up to the advent of space tourism? Of course not. My 8 year old is space potty and he's never watched a single commercial launch or test flight.

So back to my original point, is space tourism going to make a meaningful contribution to society above and beyond space exploration? Or is the net effect going to be detrimental?

And whose job is it to teach the next generation, at this critical juncture, what responsible use of technology looks like?

Just been filling up my Landrover...£79.......switched radio on as coming home they were talking about it on 5live.....2.7 million litres of fuel are used for take off, that's equivalent to an Olympic size swimming pool .....the mind boogles....though my fuel bill was bad...:grinning:

What a tragic waste of money..........There is a benefit however....it would cost a whole lot more if the local authorities were involved

With crisises in the world at the moment how can this be justified? What benefit will this be to those struggling both here and abroad? Latest those poor souls victims of terrible floods in Pakistan.

;