Non - Tactical analysis/philosophies

I’d love to print that out and give it to the t0sser behind me who spends the whole game moaning and shouting - "lump it forward or, for God’s sake, tackle him"

Trouble is, he wouldn’t understand a word of the article.

Ive just got through the article...christ almighty...I nearly dozed off halfway...its just basically saying that the team that has got the ball
has a better chance of scoring...and if said team has more skillful players ...even more so....and if the other team doesnt manage to get their tackles to count....even more so again.....blimey ...pundits with fancy moustaches were probably saying the same in 1875..Notts County v Sheffield Utd...ffs!

Ive just got through the article...christ almighty...I nearly dozed off halfway...its just basically saying that the team that has got the ball
has a better chance of scoring..
..well it actually starts by saying that the team that has got the ball (e.g Huddesfield) now has got a greater chance of conceding (when playing against a pressing team like Liverpool)

..well it actually starts by saying that the team that has got the ball (e.g Huddesfield) now has got a greater chance of conceding (when playing against a pressing team like Liverpool)
Thats a very good point richnrg!....:D.....more proof that Eddie is way ahead of the game.....;)

I read this the other day, very good article that shows the complexities involved.
I liked the bit, and I had never thought of it that way, that certain teams when they press well give you a bad choice to make or an even worse one.

I also liked the fact that it showed Keane as a bit of a dinosaur. Great player but aggression and passion only get you so far playing wise these days. Might explain how Eddie is teaching Lerma to calm down on that front a bit. His yellow card count is a bit lower these days.

I liked the bit, and I had never thought of it that way, that certain teams when they press well give you a bad choice to make or an even worse one.

I also liked the fact that it showed Keane as a bit of a dinosaur. Great player but aggression and passion only get you so far playing wise these days. Might explain how Eddie is teaching Lerma to calm down on that front a bit. His yellow card count is a bit lower these days.

"Might explain how Eddie is teaching Lerma to calm down on that front a bit. His yellow card count is a bit lower these days."
Since he was suspended he has only been booked once in seven games.
Great improvement like his game.

His fellow Scot Rabbie Burns put it more eloquently:

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men,
Gang aft a-gley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy.

Of course you must have a plan for your football team and devise the best distribution on the pitch of the players that you have available to maximise your performance both in attack and in defence, and we can all argue about the best formation of the players to achieve that after the event, and of course application and the desire to win are also crucial:
BUT a lot of what determines the outcome of any one game is often accidental or arbitrary.

Last night Klopp got lots right, Liverpool played superbly and were arguably the better team on the night, but two great players on the top of their game and some slices of good fortune for Barcelona overcame that. What Eddie calls small margins gave Barca a decisive victory, whereas if Salah and Mane had been as sharp and clinical as we know they can be, the result could have been completely different. Salah's shot that hit the post went clear of everyone instead of hitting the net as expected, whereas the Suarez shot that hit the bar rebounded cleanly directly towards the onrushing Messi. Neither Salah or Suarez had intended those outcomes, and their respective managers had no control over them at all, but they were decisive.

Because football is essentially a low-scoring game, it's the effect that these split second incidents and actions have on the outcome of matches despite all the organisation and preparation put into the teams that makes the beautiful game so fascinating.

Souness! ..im not a great fan but blimey he got that bang on....!

As I see it after nearly 60 years, Being better than the player nearest to you on the pitch at any given time is basically what football is about.....then you move forward with the ball toward the goal...thats it....you then decide whether or not to pass it to another player in more space..or not ....tactics are only really effective as you think of them on the move.....we saw Messi demonstrating this v Liverpool...and Ajax players v Spurs making a mockery of the PL being the best league...( thats a bit off topic but will wind up a few indoctrinated sheep).
Weve had thousands of comments, arguments, suggestions on this forum about tactics and formations...for our team..and here we sit, mid table again..very few points difference than the other 3 seasons! Same players getting accolades i.e Ake and Wilson and the same ones getting Sh#t i.e Gosling and Ibe!
Every game is so different anyway!
You cant Predict that Watford at home to Boscombe are going to impersonate Welton Rovers or Burnley slide around DC like Bayern Munich or Chelsea defenders read each other bedtime stories as they watch the birds fly around the conifers in Thistlebarrow road!

Last edited:

;