Non - The Clash

Bitzer

Star Player
Got totally fed up with xmas TV recently so revisited my old Clash albums. Even my fourteen year old son was blown away by some of the London Calling tracks. So for people of a certain age what are your favourite Clash songs / tracks ? Were Strummer and Jones geniuses or am I becoming a wistful old fart ?

Great music is great music, doesn't matter how old it is. I love Bach and Mozart, and that is centuries old ! I remember seeing The Clash at the epic RAR concert in Victoria Park in 1978. Fave Clash tunes : White Man At The Hammersmith Palais, London Calling, Janie Jones. What a band.

White Man in Hammersmith Palais
Straight to Hell
Safe European Home
Train in Vain

and many more!
It's amazing how so many nowadays go for Safe European Home. One of the best alongside White Man. One that seemed to grow on me later is The Card Cheat.

Safe European Home was the first tune I thought of!

Also, amazing how well The Magnificent Seven has held up, with the hip-hop influence in it. The first Clash LP I bought was Sandinista while in France on the school French exchange. That would benefit from being reduced down to a double in my mind but apparently it was a massive seller in France which might explain why I bought it there.

Edit - and Garageland! How can I forget Garageland. Great tune.

Last edited:
Saw the Clash many times in their prime. They were the soundtrack to my late teens/early twenties. Personal favourites are White Riot and Rock the Casbah. I also have a soft spot for Police and Thieves because it was the only track I could understand the words to on their first album when I first got it.

Some years later I met Mick Jones a few times because we drank in the same small Brixton pub. I tried really hard not to be star struck but it wasn’t easy.

Never saw them, too young, but a massive fan. Not already mentioned...

Straight to hell
Spanish bombs
Guns of brixton
Pressure drop

Saw them at Winter Garden when the seats got ripped up ( front page of Echo afterwards). Village Bowl also.

Still playing their stuff regularly
Never tire of:
What's my name
Police and Thieves
Armageddon Time
White Man
London Calling etc,etc,etc.

Saw the Clash many times in their prime. They were the soundtrack to my late teens/early twenties. Personal favourites are White Riot and Rock the Casbah. I also have a soft spot for Police and Thieves because it was the only track I could understand the words to on their first album when I first got it.

Some years later I met Mick Jones a few times because we drank in the same small Brixton pub. I tried really hard not to be star struck but it wasn’t easy.
How did you find him ? While we're name dropping I met Steve Norman from Spandau in the jolly Miller of all places. He reckoned that Strummer was a top bloke but Mick Jones was an arrogant knob. I like to think it was Mick's hard nut punk demeanour towards those poncey New Romantics.

Mick Jones was alright when I met him, which was in the mid nineties. He did have a penchant for a big American car that he fetched up in once but he didn’t come across as particularly arrogant.

Still one of the best bands. Saw the clash several times. Victoria park RAR was a great day out. Hastings pier pavilion 1977 with Richard Hell. Village with Mikey Dread.

Met Joe in 1999 at Glastonbury. He was in the crowd on the jazz stage watching Burning Spear, there with Craig Charles. It was my son's first Glastonbury, he was 13 and just started listening to the clash and learning guitar. I went and spoke to Joe, apologised for interrupting him and introduced him to my son, Tim. He gave Tim 100% attention and asked him some questions about himself. Tim said he'd just started learning the guitar and Joe said to keep it up. He was charming and attentive.

Me, my son and brother saw Joe play at the Wedgewood rooms 2 or 3 weeks before he died. Terrific gig.

Also saw the rock against the rich tour at Poole arts centre back in the 80s, also a great night.

I loved the clash and still listen to their albums. So many great tracks.

White Man, bankrobber dub, Brixton, armagideon time for a start. Saw the Good the bad and the Queen the penultimate night at the Hammersmith Palais (the Fall played the final night) and Don Letts played White Man which the whole place sang with passion and gusto.

Always question authority.

41N0PwPGoCL._SY355_.jpg

There are too many to choose from. Some that mean a great deal to me personally, some that are just straight-up greats. But one song that often gets overlooked is This is England.

As an album, Cut the Crap was...well...... But that track is one of Joe Strummer's greatest achievements.

;