Non - Toronto Wolfpack Promoted to Super League

Betfred Rugby League. Were in Championship division, which included a French team - Toulouse - and 12 teams from the UK. Toronto entered at the lowest division in 2017 and will next year play with the elite. Tons of travel and really a core fan base - therefore not a lot of $$ - makes this quite an accomplishment.

Betfred Rugby League. Were in Championship division, which included a French team - Toulouse - and 12 teams from the UK. Toronto entered at the lowest division in 2017 and will next year play with the elite. Tons of travel and really a core fan base - therefore not a lot of $$ - makes this quite an accomplishment.

OK, not my sport, but seems a real AFCB type of rise.

I had to have a butchers , they played Featherstone Rovers, now I might be being a tad derisory but "WolfPack" "Bradford Bulls" "Castleford Tigers" "Leeds Rhinos" "Wigan Warriors" did Featherstone ever have a chance :LOL:

You will have to excuse them Toronto John, unfortunately it's a game more usually played in the north of our country, with London Broncos being the only major southern representative.Yes it is a great rise for your club, living in the north I used to see Toronto billed as playing at small town clubs around Huddersfield and was genuinely interested and amazed to find out that they were actually from Toronto Canada, I gather that the authorities wouldn't allow them to start at the top and made them work their way up through the leagues, the cost of all this must have been quite phenomenal.

Purely for John I had read of wiki to get an idea of this fairytale afcb rise.

Club didn’t exist when AFCB kicked off their first Premier League season.

Bought their place in the league for $500,000.

Owned by multiple millionaires.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Wolfpack

You will have to excuse them Toronto John, unfortunately it's a game more usually played in the north of our country, with London Broncos being the only major southern representative.Yes it is a great rise for your club, living in the north I used to see Toronto billed as playing at small town clubs around Huddersfield and was genuinely interested and amazed to find out that they were actually from Toronto Canada, I gather that the authorities wouldn't allow them to start at the top and made them work their way up through the leagues, the cost of all this must have been quite phenomenal.
Thanks, @Braithwell, I know when my leg is getting pulled! Actually, I didn't realize the geographical legacy of this sport, until @DJ mentioned it. I then got out my map and there it was .... Hull, Huddersfield, Leeds, Wigan, etc.

Thanks DJ for posting the wiki. Hopefully it will attact other readers. It has not been all financial success, they almost missed a payroll this year and curtailed TV coverage due to costs. I watched on a stream from our national TV network, which picked up a Sky feed.

It can't really be comparable to AFCB's rise to fortune, but I thought it was a neat story given a Canadian team is playing in a League that is traced back to the 1890's. And, I always feel that I should contribute a bit of North American colour to this forum, be it sports, music, politics or cultural.

;