Non - Total Solar Eclipse

It was awesome! Not the first total one I've experienced but certainly the most memorable. Toronto John, I drove down to the Royal Botanical Gardens, more in hope than anything because of the cloud cover. But suddenly the clouds parted and for the next hour it was a magnificent experience. Glad I made the effort, it was surreal!

Yeah, we stayed up in Carlisle. We didn't have the special glasses but used the tablet to take reverse angle shots (like selfies, but without us in the frame!).

In central Ohio we got a good 99+% coverage. It was a little eerie, looking outside and seeing people just stood looking at the sun, like some kind of alien invasion movie. Anywho, none of my photos captured it well. We noticed that it got a little colder, and it was amazing how much light we got even when the sun was almost covered. The birds stopped chirping. It was a great experience.

The next decent partial eclipse visible from the UK is in August 2026. Coverage from Bournemouth below:

1712628906748.png

Northern Spain is your best bet to see it. @BilbaoCherry will be getting 30 seconds of totality!

99% where we are, pretty strange. Got very dim, kind of like dusk. Peaked at the sun, thought it would be a black disk but it was just a very crisp round orb. As it passed, we got morningsong from the resident birds, that was really cool.
That's pretty much how it was in Bournemouth in 1999, surreal indeed. 89% here in NYC, nothing much to report!

We drove to Belleville, Arkansas to experience about 4 minutes of totality. I strongly recommend to everyone to try to get into the shadow. There is a big difference from 99%. We did it in 2017 and had to do it again. There's nothing else like it.

That's pretty much how it was in Bournemouth in 1999, surreal indeed. 89% here in NYC, nothing much to report!

Oh, we got real close in Bournemouth in 1999:

1712634658993.png

It's a testament to the power of the Sun that despite that, that's still 2,500 times as bright as a full moon.

The difference between a deep partial eclipse and a full one is, well, night and day, really!

Oh, we got real close in Bournemouth in 1999:

View attachment 13803

It's a testament to the power of the Sun that despite that, that's still 2,500 times as bright as a full moon.

The difference between a deep partial eclipse and a full one is, well, night and day, really!
I was fairly young but actually still remember it quite clearly, things went a bit quiet, the birds seemed a bit confused and stuff.

Not to go all nerd but the brightness of a full moon is the reflected light from the sun, the phases of the (e.g. cresent, full) is how much the Earth's shadow is covering the moon.
During a solar eclipse obviously, the moon is casting a shadow on Earth so the light is bouncing back to the sun :geek:

The next decent partial eclipse visible from the UK is in August 2026. Coverage from Bournemouth below:

View attachment 13802

Northern Spain is your best bet to see it. @BilbaoCherry will be getting 30 seconds of totality!
I actually live in Dallas, in the US. We got a few minutes of totality here. Pretty amazing how it all went dark.

Attachments

• a992fe87-40db-487b-b182-74b88cc7132a.jpeg
    a992fe87-40db-487b-b182-74b88cc7132a.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 36a25f5e-254d-4b6b-956e-ea73d6ea4fd5.jpeg
    36a25f5e-254d-4b6b-956e-ea73d6ea4fd5.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 3
It was really, unreal. Saw the totality for a few minutes. First thing you notice, probably 15 minutes before, is it gets very cold. It was 18C and dropped probably 10 degrees.
When the light really goes out it happens in a few seconds and it's really dark. Frogs started croaking.
Pic is silhouette of my wife looking at the totality. The corona was actually pink, green, and other colours.
Still kind of buzzing from it!IMG_3851.JPG

;