Non, Valley Parade

We were at Brisbane Road that afternoon.

I recall (in those pre-internet days) that someone had a transistor radio and we had an idea that something terrible had happened by the time the final whistle went. A group of us shunned the pub to stand outside a TV rental place in Leyton High Road where we saw some of the terrible pictures. But the full horror wasn't to become clear for a while after that.

As if it mattered, our result was 0-0. In coronavirus times, what is more important, human lives or finishing a few matches?

Last edited:
There is a documentary about it on BT sport tonight.
I’ve seen that one , presented by Gabby Logan who was there that day as her Dad Terry Yorath was Bradford manager.
It’s really good , although that’s not really the right word for it .
A mate of mine at work was there too - luckily none of his family were either injured or killed .
It certainly still affects him today .

I’ve seen that one , presented by Gabby Logan who was there that day as her Dad Terry Yorath was Bradford manager.
It’s really good , although that’s not really the right word for it .
A mate of mine at work was there too - luckily none of his family were either injured or killed .
It certainly still affects him today .
Was it not Trevor Cherry manager ?

We were at Brisbane Road that afternoon.

I recall (in those pre-internet days) that someone had a transistor radio and we had an idea that something terrible had happened by the time the final whistle went. A group of us shunned the pub to stand outside a TV rental place in Leyton High Road where we saw some of the terrible pictures. But the full horror wasn't to become clear for a while after that.

As if it mattered, our result was 0-0. In coronavirus times, what is more important, human lives or finishing a few matches?
Thats pretty much as I recall it Erik. I was at Brisbane Rd too and the news only filtered in via a radio and then TV set in shop window. Shocking day. Didn't realise till later how many were killed.

Was burned down by the Bradford City owner for the insurance money. His previous businesses also disappeared mysteriously up in smoke. By the time Paul Foot the journalist exposed this, the owner had died and could not be brought to book.
One of the survivors who lost four member of his family in the fire when they took a wrong turn, wrote a book about the tragedy and the farce of an inquest and investigations that followed. Interesting reading

Was burned down by the Bradford City owner for the insurance money. His previous businesses also disappeared mysteriously up in smoke. By the time Paul Foot the journalist exposed this, the owner had died and could not be brought to book.
One of the survivors who lost four member of his family in the fire when they took a wrong turn, wrote a book about the tragedy and the farce of an inquest and investigations that followed. Interesting reading

It has yet to be proven, surely?

This is from the Independent five years ago when Theresa May was Home Secretary.

"The letter argues that the West Yorkshire force failed in a duty to inform Sir Oliver Popplewell, the High Court judge who presided over the inquiry, of at least eight fires in premises owned by or connected to the then Bradford City chairman Stafford Heginbotham, who died in 1995. This, despite the fact that the pattern of blazes was contemporaneously known both by Bradford residents and the local media. A report by the investigative journalist Paul Foot, published in the Daily Mirror of 31 May 1985, headlined “Fire Jinx in Bradford”, is cited to May.

The detailed case laid out for May charts how the assumption that a cigarette caused the fire is, at least, questionable given expert evidence heard by Popplewell."

;