Non vegetables in the fridge in green bags

hba1

Fans' Favourite
Several people have recommended to me that to prolonge the life of vegetables in the fridge put them in green bags. I bought some from eBay and it seems to work.

There is no way this should work.
Its dark inside your fridge.
Very very dark.
You wouldn't have Schrödinger's cat in there as well would you?

I know you work with plants so you'll know better but I thought it could be temperature change and air that might be causing spoiling rather than light. I thought that was why there was a fruit/veggie box at the bottom of the fridge, it's cool and the door helps it to stay that way.

Should be reducing packaging not adding additional bags…

If OP is talking about what I'm thinking of they're reusable bags. You could buy loose and carry home in the bag. Alternatively if you're buying in packaging then you almost always buying more than you need in my experience and having the spare living long enough to find a use is probably worth the impact of the bag over its lifetime.

I know you work with plants so you'll know better but I thought it could be temperature change and air that might be causing spoiling rather than light. I

At a guess I'd say colour means nothing but a bag will contain the ethaline given off, although all that would do is speed up the veg going off, but would stop it happening to other stuff in other bags?

Maybe?

My biology qualifications are 40 years old

I like hard conference pears and I was told to take them out of bags paper/plastic that they put them in when bought loose and put in fridge loose in salad compartment, they keep harder and longer that way.

Loong-Tak Lim, an associate professor in the Department of Food Science at the University of Guelph, says in theory, green bags and containers should make some foods last longer. They’re made with absorbent minerals or clay particles, which are known to absorb the ethylene gas that fruits and vegetables give off as they ripen.

He states that only certain foods would benefit. These foods are called “climacteric,” and include those fruits and vegetables that ripen after being picked. They include: bananas, avocados, cantaloupes, mangoes, peaches, pears, and tomatoes.

“For climacteric foods, anything that absorbs ethylene gas could extend shelf life,” Lim says.

But that shelf extension would be a matter of only a few days, not the weeks and weeks suggested in some of the infomercials.

Other fruits that are not climacteric — such as grapes, berries, citrus, watermelon and most vegetables – likely would not benefit from a container made with ethylene-absorbing materials, since they don’t ripen after they’re picked, Lim says. For these foods, their biggest enemies are mold and moisture loss.

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/nassauco/2018/01/19/can-green-bags-really-keep-food-fresh-weeks/

Loong-Tak Lim, an associate professor in the Department of Food Science at the University of Guelph, says in theory, green bags and containers should make some foods last longer. They’re made with absorbent minerals or clay particles, which are known to absorb the ethylene gas that fruits and vegetables give off as they ripen.

He states that only certain foods would benefit. These foods are called “climacteric,” and include those fruits and vegetables that ripen after being picked. They include: bananas, avocados, cantaloupes, mangoes, peaches, pears, and tomatoes.

“For climacteric foods, anything that absorbs ethylene gas could extend shelf life,” Lim says.

But that shelf extension would be a matter of only a few days, not the weeks and weeks suggested in some of the infomercials.

Other fruits that are not climacteric — such as grapes, berries, citrus, watermelon and most vegetables – likely would not benefit from a container made with ethylene-absorbing materials, since they don’t ripen after they’re picked, Lim says. For these foods, their biggest enemies are mold and moisture loss.

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/nassauco/2018/01/19/can-green-bags-really-keep-food-fresh-weeks/
Cool!

Thread titles like this are why I love this forum.

To think some killjoy will be along in a minute to say ‘what’s this got to do with Bournemouth?’

;