Non - Wetherspoons

Lord Snooty

Fans' Favourite
With Wetherspoons founder Tim Martin being given a knighthood in the Truss honours list it got me thinking.
How many of you chaps & chapettes frequent these Wetherspoons drinking establishments?
I have to admit to being a snob and find my only visits tend to be on the occasional away trip perhaps.
Usually by this stage I’m jolly plastered and don’t get a genuine picture of what these pubs offer.
Is it true they’re all about sticky floors, new trainers and alcoholic pensioners furiously smoking roll ups outside?
Or am I mistaken?
Am I missing something?

All pubs have their place and these are no different. Prices are great, range of beers is usually pretty good. Food is pretty terrible in my experience. Also it depends on which one you go to. Some of them are like soup kitchens but others are fine.

Its worse than that. It was the official honours list not the Truss roll of shame !!

The founder of the Wetherspoon pub chain Tim Martin has been knighted in the New Year Honours list.
The Brexit campaigner has been recognised for his services to hospitality and culture.

I don’t mind them. Although the Winton branch is not that good.
I imagine it is run by balloon heads and cloth eared students.

Think they are a mixture of poor to good.

My daughter is in her early 20s and will sometimes go to a local Spoons as drinks are so much cheaper than normal london prices. Food is ok and good value. Thus can have an evening out without breaking the bank

Well I will put my hand up and say I frequent them but I also frequent micro pubs and all other sorts of pubs.
Like everything there is good and bad. You usually get a good choice of well kept real ales at good prices. The food is standard pub grub at good prices. As for the premises well I do like a lot of their renovations and conversions of previously derelict old buildings in towns and cities. They don't just do bland identikit conversions. Old bank buildings, cinemas, theatres, seaside pavilions, even churches. Many old buildings have been saved from demolition as a result. Do they contribute to the demise of other pubs - some say yes some say no. In Wimborne they all bemoaned the arrival of Spoons and said all the other pubs would close. The opposite has happened, it kickstarted the nightlife and many new pubs bars and restaurants have opened since.
As for clientele, well its a cross section as usual. Many old folk do use them particularly during the day for cheap food and drink (coffee £1-50 a cup with free refills !). For many its a big part of their social life - shopping plus a chat with friends. More youngsters at night plus your regular pub goers.
Tim Martin has found a business model that works and good luck to him. I dread to think what pub prices would be if Spoons didn't act as a bit of a brake.
Of course R&R will tell you different but we all know what he spouts.

I don’t mind them. Although the Winton branch is not that good.
I imagine it is run by balloon heads and cloth eared students.

I think it's fine. Some of them only have old seasoned drinkers in and they are often the ones that feel like soup kitchens - see the Standing Order in Southampton. The Winton one also has loads of students which helps with the atmosphere. Also most other pubs in Winton are terrible these days other than the micro pubs.

I would add that they should be marked down locally for naming their pubs after other places. The Winton one is called Parkstone, the Poole one is called Wimborne, the Broadstone one is called Blackwater....
If you read up the history of that particular building you will find it was a branch of the Parkstone and Heatherlands Society. A bit of local history !
likewise the Blackwater etc.
and Poole

Last edited:
I appreciate Harry's expertise on this but every single Wetherspoons I've been in serves crap beer and even worse food.

Its worse than that. It was the official honours list not the Truss roll of shame !!

The founder of the Wetherspoon pub chain Tim Martin has been knighted in the New Year Honours list.
The Brexit campaigner has been recognised for his services to hospitality and culture.

We know that Jim, this thread is about the pubs, not the honours list.

Totally agree with Redharrys first post on this thread.
I would add that the App also advises live upto date info on all guest ales, wait times for drinks or food & you can search to see where they are currently serving any specific beer/brewery. It also lists beers due to come on next & you can receive a notification when they become available. I am currently waiting for a notification on Titanics Plum Porter!

;