Non-Wildlife

We had a pair of Lapwings here at work which were being constantly dive bombed by the local crows but valiantly fought back against overwhelming odds, sad that, I said to a woman in the office why's that she said those bloody birds of prey should be shot for attacking those poor crows, its hard work some times isn't it.
Woman in a workplace is challenging. ;)

hoopoe at little sea, studland today apparently

and a gurt wte nest very close to ferry road

and beaver action

it's all going on

Last edited:
Just as a refreshing break after yesterday, thought I’d share how lucky I think we are living right here with so much nature so close at hand.

I had a couple of hours free yesterday morning, thought I’d pop out with the camera for some wildlife photography- but the choice of where to go all within 45 minutes drive was both mind blowing and just crazy really. Just up the road from me is Talbot Heath, a small but lovely little mix of heathland/ meadow where you can see Dartford Warblers and Green Woodpeckers as well as the usual woodland birds. Loads of Chiff Chaffs, Wrens, Long Tailed Tits and Bull Finches nesting there at the moment. There’ll be Nightjars there soon too. Ten minutes drive is Stour Valley Local NR- has been badly flooded of late but almost always see Kingfishers along the river, the occasional Otter, trees full of Long Tail Tits, Goldfinch and Green Finch in the gorse, Goldcrest and Treecreeper in Riverside Trees and Kestrel/Buzards nearby too. A half hour’s drive will take you to Stanpit Marshes, great place to spot Wheatear, Whitethroat, Marsh Harriers, Whimbrel, Curlew, Red Shank etc etc plus the odd Water Rail, ditto that with Hengistbury Head and Upton Country Park where you can get really close to Waders and Ducks like Pintail and Teal in the harbour (all within a short stroll from a good cafe too).

Then you’ve got Lytchett Fields where I’ve seen rarer stuff- Water Pipits, Tree Pipits, Curlew Sandpipers, or Morden Bog currently home to a good number of Woodlark and Linnets, Greater Spotted Woodpecker - the list goes on and on.

As it was yesterday I decided on a short trip to Longham Lakes near Haskins and it was worth the trip. Just a five minute walk from the car I found myself next to Reed beds with Great Crested Grebe, Canada and Greylag Geese on the Lake, and listening to three different warblers all at once- Reed (gorgeous chittering sound), Cettis (explosion of song) and Sedge ( pictured from an earlier trip). Plus Reed Bunting flying all around.

Such a great time to get outside and listen to nature- really inspiring and all free!
IMG_0160.jpeg

Just as a refreshing break after yesterday, thought I’d share how lucky I think we are living right here with so much nature so close at hand.

I had a couple of hours free yesterday morning, thought I’d pop out with the camera for some wildlife photography- but the choice of where to go all within 45 minutes drive was both mind blowing and just crazy really. Just up the road from me is Talbot Heath, a small but lovely little mix of heathland/ meadow where you can see Dartford Warblers and Green Woodpeckers as well as the usual woodland birds. Loads of Chiff Chaffs, Wrens, Long Tailed Tits and Bull Finches nesting there at the moment. There’ll be Nightjars there soon too. Ten minutes drive is Stour Valley Local NR- has been badly flooded of late but almost always see Kingfishers along the river, the occasional Otter, trees full of Long Tail Tits, Goldfinch and Green Finch in the gorse, Goldcrest and Treecreeper in Riverside Trees and Kestrel/Buzards nearby too. A half hour’s drive will take you to Stanpit Marshes, great place to spot Wheatear, Whitethroat, Marsh Harriers, Whimbrel, Curlew, Red Shank etc etc plus the odd Water Rail, ditto that with Hengistbury Head and Upton Country Park where you can get really close to Waders and Ducks like Pintail and Teal in the harbour (all within a short stroll from a good cafe too).

Then you’ve got Lytchett Fields where I’ve seen rarer stuff- Water Pipits, Tree Pipits, Curlew Sandpipers, or Morden Bog currently home to a good number of Woodlark and Linnets, Greater Spotted Woodpecker - the list goes on and on.

As it was yesterday I decided on a short trip to Longham Lakes near Haskins and it was worth the trip. Just a five minute walk from the car I found myself next to Reed beds with Great Crested Grebe, Canada and Greylag Geese on the Lake, and listening to three different warblers all at once- Reed (gorgeous chittering sound), Cettis (explosion of song) and Sedge ( pictured from an earlier trip). Plus Reed Bunting flying all around.

Such a great time to get outside and listen to nature- really inspiring and all free!
View attachment 13838
Fantastic. Our warblers are starting to arrive now. Chiffchaff and blackcap have been here a while. Today I saw willow warbler, sedge warbler and lesser whitethroat.

;