Non- Women Who Front the Band

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
This Forum has dedicated many threads to the music theme. Memorable concerts. Best Albums - Live and Studio. Drummers. Guitarists. The Greatest Generation of Rock. The Next Generation. Almost 200 pages of NEJ and an NEJ Christmas package.

The passing of the incomparable Christine McVie has had me thinking about the fabulous females who fronted a band or were solo stars in rock (and some pop). There are many, of different music genres. How can you ignore Deborah Harry, Annie Lennox, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Pink?

For me, two stand-out ahead of all others.

#2 ...... Ann Wilson of Heart. "Adopted" Canadians who came up from Seattle and turned rock on its head, with Ann's soaring vocals. Sister Nancy played guitar and sang lead on a few songs of her own. Late 1970's and mid-1980's Heart was a band to be reckoned with.

#1 .... Chrissie Hynde. Sexy, enigmatic, a bit raunchy, fronted the Pretenders, sang, played guitar, definitely lived the "rock" lifestyle ........ and even contributed a heck of a Christmas song.

Agree with Heart and Joan Jett, but for me honourable mentions also for:

From now:
Lzzy Hale
Taylor Momsen
Noora Louhimo (a voice that could knock down walls)

From backalong:
Janis Joplin
Grace Slick
Bonnie Tyler (not quite a front woman of a band, but a great voice)

Mama Cass...Judith Durham....Joy Beverley ( billy Wright's missus).
Bobbie Gentry ...Carly Simon....Karen Carpenter....Lena Zavaroni... ..Sandy Posey...
.and Margharita Pracatan!!!

Last edited:

;