Non - Woolies Could Return To UK

billythekid

UTC Legend
In the present climate of our High Streets would it survive?

Once loved for its pic'n' mix sweets and bargain prices, Woolworths stores could return to the UK.

In 2009 when its British shops closed after the financial crisis, the brand in Germany, where it is known as Woolworth, was saved by HH Holding.

Current HH Holding chief Roman Heini says the UK is on his "bucket list" of destinations as he seeks to expand internationally.

Woolies never went away as a food shop Down Under. Along with Coles it is one of the major supermarket chains. You can see the logo on this packet.

Woolies OZ.jpgWoolies 2.JPG

Last edited:
In the present climate of our High Streets would it survive?

Once loved for its pic'n' mix sweets and bargain prices, Woolworths stores could return to the UK.

In 2009 when its British shops closed after the financial crisis, the brand in Germany, where it is known as Woolworth, was saved by HH Holding.

Current HH Holding chief Roman Heini says the UK is on his "bucket list" of destinations as he seeks to expand internationally.

No chance of surviving.

Went to one in Germany recently, where they never disappeared completely but did reduce their number of stores quite drastically.

Certainly changed a fair bit in recent years. Now it's more of a Pound Shop sort of affair. Everything in there is dirt cheap. No 'Pick and Mix' in the German stores but it will be interesting to see if they bring it back if they return to the UK.

During my latest visit I was surprised to see just how many own brand products Woolworth Germany now has. A lot of the stuff in there was own brand stuff, even things like batteries etc. They seem to be doing well. The store I was in was one they'd recently opened, so they seem to still be expanding.

I think the vibe they are going for is 'Primark if Primark sold everything, including dog treats and batteries'. That's sort of what you can expect if they expand into the UK ;)

I remember the one in Winton, I believe that it had polished wood parquet floors circa late 50's /60's.
They were indeed although that was the Bournemouth store. Great fun coming up to closing time scattering wet sawdust to help sweep up the dirt and rubbish. Most of it went over the girls in mini skirts legs.

Used to go to the one in Christchurch and Southbourne. (now Ludo Lounge).

Poundland is in the same building now in Christchurch.

Link has other Woolies stores as well, including pics of the Bournemouth one 60 years ago, with traffic going up Commercial Road.

Last edited:

;