NON- You Can't Share Conservative Views on Campus Anymore

AFCB+TFC

First Team
So I have to take "Indigenous peoples of Canada" as one of my social sciences.

The professor and I have traded quips regarding colonialism a bit till this point but nothing major.

Anyways today we had a guest speaker that actually spoke to the PM a couple of weeks ago.

Indigenous Guest Speaker: "We are the poorest ethnic group in Canada. The government is systematically racist against us.

Me: Don't you think that has more to do with culture than systematic racism?

At this point the actual professor looks at me and says in a tone that reflected the fact I had hit a nerve, "what do you mean by "culture"?

Me: "My cousin grew up in Cape Breton and he's been telling me for years that many if not most of the indigenous people there get pregnant in their late teens have a couple babies and the live off of the benefits."

*Class and prof/ guest speaker all looks at me like I'm a racist*

Me: You may not like it, and it may not be politically correct, but that's a fact."

Me: "You're the poorest ethnic group in Canada because you don't attempt to integrate nearly as much as the other groups. You're calling a government racist that pays for all your schooling- while the rest of us "privileged" ones pay thousands of dollars a year."

Typical victim mentality in 2018- where if you're not a white man then you're entitled to something from society because it has somehow wronged you.

kirsikka - 22/1/2018 19:15

AFCB+TFC - 22/1/2018 18:59
"My cousin grew up in Cape Breton and he's been telling me for years...

You may not like it, and it may not be politically correct, but that's a fact."

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

My grandparents live there so I've seen it with my own eyes as well but I'll take my cousins word for it as better evidence, happy? not to many Engineering grads that are racist I don't think.

Unless you know of a reason that Indigenous people are 33 times more likely to go to jail in Manitoba than a white person is? All because white people are racist and it has nothing to do with culture then I assume?

:hihi:

Me: "My cousin grew up in Cape Breton and he's been telling me for years that many if not most of the indigenous people there get pregnant in their late teens have a couple babies and the live off of the benefits."

Our indigenous do the same mate. I believe we may have perfected the art.

red_house - 22/1/2018 19:24

Our indigenous do the same mate. I believe we may have perfected the art.

:sick:

AFCB+TFC - 22/1/2018 19:23

My grandparents live there so I've seen it with my own eyes as well but I'll take my cousins word for it as better evidence, happy? not to many Engineering grads that are racist I don't think.

anecdotal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

fact
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

If a person even mentions racism, it gets others reacting so why even bring the subject up. The comedian Lenny Henry cannot get through one sentence in most of his dealings with public on or off stage without using the word black! The clever t##ts made a living out of it though.Sad!

kirsikka - 22/1/2018 19:29

AFCB+TFC - 22/1/2018 19:23

anecdotal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

fact
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

Yes Kirs I know the difference, you don't live here so how the heck would you even know the situation.

It is common knowledge that Cape Breton has a serious problem with Natives gaming the system.

Common knowledge is fact unless you want to get highly semantical.

I really don't come on here to get involved in discussions like this but as you have asked.

You accuse the indigenous Canadians of not integrating. They're indigenous ffs, maybe you should look up the meaning of the word. You imply that their culture is inferior to yours, seemingly unaware that their culture has been pretty much destroyed by invaders turned settlers (you). You then ask why they are more likely to go to jail. Perhaps because they are margianalised socially and economically by a society built by white westerners for white westerners?

I haven't even bothered to argue your case with you, that's a whole different ball game. However your assertion to a Professor in a university that your claims on such a wide-sweeping topic were a fact because your cousin grew up there made me smile.

I'm 100% certain he gave a student in his class a look after that statement. I'm not convinced it was an accusation of racism though.

You could probably have framed what you said in a less aggressive/abrasive way. Bearing in mind it was a guest speaker, it sounds like you were a bit disrespectful.

It is not ignorant to espouse the view that Western Society which was built on Judeau-Christian values is superior to other cultures. It is why we see people migrating towards Western countries rather than from them.

Yea I know what the word means but to argue in favour of colonialism is not racist. What makes them any different to any other conquered peoples? The fact we magically became more civilized around that time? Why should we pander to an ethnic group that by and large hurts the economy by gaming the system. Canada has been a country for 150 years, it is time these people start to integrate. Integration is what makes Canada one of the best countries in the world to live in.

How are they marginalized socially and economically? It's the opposite, they don't even pay federal tax! (15%) I'm sure the cops in Manitoba are so racist that they incarcerate 33 times more natives than other Canadians just for the heck of it.

It would be way easier to get a job in Canada if I was a Native because of Affirmative Action so they can complain all they want but they are the privileged ones in TODAYS society, sorry you natives can't go back to shooting bows and arrows Jesus Christ.

AFCB+TFC - 23/1/2018 01:56

It is not ignorant to espouse the view that Western Society which was built on Judeau-Christian values is superior to other cultures. It is why we see people migrating towards Western countries rather than from them.

Yea I know what the word means but to argue in favour of colonialism is not racist. What makes them any different to any other conquered peoples? The fact we magically became more civilized around that time? Why should we pander to an ethnic group that by and large hurts the economy by gaming the system. Canada has been a country for 150 years, it is time these people start to integrate. Integration is what makes Canada one of the best countries in the world to live in.

How are they marginalized socially and economically? It's the opposite, they don't even pay federal tax! (15%) I'm sure the cops in Manitoba are so racist that they incarcerate 33 times more natives than other Canadians just for the heck of it.

It would be way easier to get a job in Canada if I was a Native because of Affirmative Action so they can complain all they want but they are the privileged ones in TODAYS society, sorry you natives can't go back to shooting bows and arrows Jesus Christ.

I got it wrong. I think you are in fact racist.

NWCherries98 - 22/1/2018 19:45

You could probably have framed what you said in a less aggressive/abrasive way. Bearing in mind it was a guest speaker, it sounds like you were a bit disrespectful.

This is probably fair though, Lyrica can make me pretty irritable...

cardiffcherry - 22/1/2018 19:41

I really don't come on here to get involved in discussions like this but as you have asked.

You accuse the indigenous Canadians of not integrating. They're indigenous ffs, maybe you should look up the meaning of the word. You imply that their culture is inferior to yours, seemingly unaware that their culture has been pretty much destroyed by invaders turned settlers (you). You then ask why they are more likely to go to jail. Perhaps because they are margianalised socially and economically by a society built by white westerners for white westerners?

I've no idea if OP is racist or not but it always makes me laugh how racists in Australia or North America differ from those here. In the old country it's "this is our country and they should go back to where they came from" whereas in these other places it's the indigenous that won't integrate and it's their fault they've not prospered under such a benevolent and welcoming incoming culture. Different ways of justifying the same prejudices.

To be able to come out with these criticisms of the indigenous population without even the slightest acknowledgement of the European role in their problems is staggering though tbf.

;