They got the bible we got the land.

Crime, addiction and suicide are problems in the uk

How is the integration of Quebec going?

JIMNNINA - 24/1/2018 20:09

Colonialism

They got the bible we got the land.

Crime, addiction and suicide are problems in the uk

How is the integration of Quebec going?

The people of Quebec see themselves as French Canadian for the most part in my experience. They are not rioting for sovereignty, they lost a narrow vote in the 90's to cede from Canada. Which was immoral anyways in my view as it would cut off the east coast from the rest of Canada.

SlowDownDerek - 24/1/2018 20:09

Rodmorg - 24/1/2018 19:57

SlowDownDerek - 24/1/2018 19:53

Rodmorg - 24/1/2018 19:23

Absolutely ridiculous in today's world now in my opinion. Seems like there is a war on conservatism and even libertarianism. If you are simply stating facts today and if it slightly hurts someone's feelings you are labelled as being a 'racist', a 'sexist' and a 'bigot' and a bucketload of other things. Looks like whatever someone says it will offend some certain 'keyboard warrior' who has to be a snowflake.

You sound quite easily offended for someone complaining about people being easily offended.

:hihi:

Nope not at all. What makes you say that?

If you're only stating facts then why would you care if someone calls you a bigot on the internet? They are wrong so sod them.

If you state an opinion then you are fair game for people to challenge that opinion. If your stated opinion is controversial I don't know why you'd expect someone who disagrees with you to tiptoe around your feelings when they respond.

In fairness this thread has been mainly people challenging people's opinions and has been quite interesting in the main IMO.

The point is is that there are facts that are controversial that people do not want to hear even though they are events which are true and would hurt someone's feelings. Yes, they may be offensive to some, but it is reality and we have to adapt to those truths and attempt to reduce the impact of certain events which have happened previously. I'm not legitimating 'hate speech' I'm just simply saying that the facts are facts and feelings aren't facts

Using the example of colonialism and globalisation, there are good points and bad points that me and you both know that are true. Say for example that America wasn't colonised at all, would there be any form of modernisation and prosperity in the Americas that we see today? But what are the issues? There are many. One example is the natives of those living in present day USA were nearly wiped out by the disease and oppression that they faced by the colonists, and continued to be oppressed until they were granted land and other rights later. What some need to realise is that these are simply facts of history and we can't change them whether we like them or not, and that we should look to the future instead of focusing on the past and the atrocities that occurred.
In all honesty I, like anyone else with a brain, think it's completely wrong for what happened to the natives in the past and it may seem I am brushing it off as irrelevant, but I am not. What happens happened and it may be saddening but we have to adapt and move on.
I believe that anyone can say whatever they want, however stupid they may sound (e.g. White Nationalism and Far-Leftism), it's their opinion then it is their opinion. No opinion is factually wrong or right, however, opinions are based on morality. It's an issue when people say that someone's opinion, based upon facts, is wrong because they simply feel hurt with a fact.

But even those things which you feel are 'facts of history' may only be so in your, and some others, minds. People have different ideas of an event and its factual to them.

That's a fair response Rodmorg but Rob has pointed out the key point about facts - they are still open to interpretation and manipulation and are often used to justify one's subjective opinion.

If I started spouting off on here saying that black people are more likely to commit violent crime some would agree that I'm stating a fact but others would say its not true if you allow for socio economic factors. People would argue about the need to adjust the figures.

Your view on how to correctly interpret the facts are likely to depend on your political outlook, hence this thread. Yet, if I said ex servicemen were more likely to commit violent crime it would be no less true 'factually' yet it is likely that people's interpretation of the factual evidence will be different to how they interpret crime facts based on ethnicity.

Who is dealing in 'facts' then?

Fwiw I'm not suggesting we should generalise about black people, ex servicemen or indigenous Canadians - I'm saying we should try understanding things better rather than using 'facts' to prove our political points of view.

Some of us hate Halloween but love our old Bonfire night! Can someone argue up 1000 words on that or make up something interesting - Chuck in a few varsity 'papers' and a smattering of plagiarism from somewhere and we can emigrate from this Canadian stuff! We've certainly kicked the subject into submission by now!

Perhaps we could have a debate on the effects of bonfire night on indigenous communities, Bill...like S****horponians for example. At least that would take us away from Canada for a page or two...

Stopped there once, had to change buses from Hull to Lincoln to watch afcb get beat heavily! Didn't see any ###ts. Theres at least one in S####horpe!

It’s like on these boards. You say Ibe is poo so you spend your whole time watching him and waiting for him to do poo things. Then all you remember is him being poo so I obviously that just reinforce your original viewpoint. Like an echo chamber but in your mind.

;