Old team v new team

fritter

UTC Legend
I'm finding the quality of teams just isn't as good as 14/15 when we were last in this division. Got me wondering about our team now compared with then.

Our 12th league game was home to charlton. Team was Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie, Surman, Arter, Pugh, Wilson, Pitman.

Who would win if that team (then) could play the team v Reading (now)?

I reckon the 2014 team would win easily. As an aside we could see Lerma V Arter on Tuesday.

Team of 2014/15 had a different mentality and attacking hunger that was breathtaking.

but you are comparing a seasoned team with a group of youngsters. You forget how young this team is Kelly at 22, Mepham 22 brooks and danjuma 23 etc they are far better than the 14/15 at same age.

their potential is greater than that championship team by a long way. Eddie’s team seemed to have established partnerships so played in pairs/triangles and greater mental hunger - maybe they were L1/L2 players who saw their one chance to get to the big-time. Maybe the current crop feel they should be there as a right.

Saturday was the first revelation that this side may have some bottle after all. Maybe we need a couple of leaders like Ritchie and Tommy to gee up the team when we start passive.

Cant say I agree tbh....teams in this division are much stronger than they were back then imo.....we all love that team but the reality is only Daniels....Wilson and possibly Arter would improve yesterdays team.

You’d have to go for that 2014 team but bear in mind about 7 or 8 of that side were at their absolute peak of their careers that season. Many of them had been first team regulars for a number of years.

Steve Cook is the only one you could say the same about now. So yes the 2014 team would win, but if hypothetically we could name Saturday’s XI with a further 2 or 3 years development in their careers, I think the 2023 version would have too much.

Not easy to compare player for player....the momentum gained from successive promotions built a strong belief in what could be achieved...we are now coming back from total disappointment of last seasons relegation...with younger players and some who still think that they are better than this league...and probably are....back then the squad had it all to prove. I think potentially we have better players now.....I guess only time will tell?

Many of the players now have more individual potential.

But as a squad they don’t hold a candle to the championship side for spirit, work ethic, work rate.

That's the real difference.

Eddies side was far greater than the sum of its parts.

Jason's is currently the opposite.

But God help the other 91 teams if it clicks on a regular basis; the potential talent we have in that team is immense.

Nothing will ever come close to the 2014/15 group imo. In terms of individual talent our current squad is miles ahead, but as a group the class of 14/15 were special.

The way we have such a slow start with the current team, the 2014 team would be 3nil up before they knew what's happening..
When compare 12 games in from this season against the championship winning team we are 5 points better off now

Attempting to compare them as a team at this point is pointless.
The old team achieved as much as it was possible to from where they started.
The new team are at a beginning of ..we don't know what.
You can basically only compare players like for like..I.e Arter and Lerma....Pugh and Brooks....Francis and Stacey...and so on.

I'm finding the quality of teams just isn't as good as 14/15 when we were last in this division. Got me wondering about our team now compared with then.

Our 12th league game was home to charlton. Team was Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie, Surman, Arter, Pugh, Wilson, Pitman.

Who would win if that team (then) could play the team v Reading (now)?

I reckon the 2014 team would win easily. As an aside we could see Lerma V Arter on Tuesday.
Really think it is very hard to compare. This is a team that is being rebuilt, albeit with some very good players with PL pedigree. The team you quote had played together for quite some time, partnerships had already formed at the back, on the wings and up front - you could pick the team with your eyes closed most weeks of the season. I think what shocked people inc me was that that group of players was good enough (a couple did move on) to play as a unit in the PL. Did we really think Franno and Daniels would cut it, or Pugh and Surman. Who would win? I don't know BUT when you look at our start in 2014/15 we were not that great after 12 games we were W5, D3 L4 = 18 points. We were just starting to get into gear. Are we doing that again - lets hope so.
As for the quality of teams in the league, I don't think it is much different to 2014/15, there were some bang average teams back then.

Reactions: drd
Some very interesting replies, agree with most of what is said, especially the stages of development of each team. This team is the first post promotion journey one. The core of Eddie's team finally dismantled.

Another huge factor is no supporters. This must make a huge difference, maybe each way. The start of games has been very poor at times and the crowd would have been edgy at least.

Saturday's game brought home how much I miss being there. So sad that Lewis Cook couldn't hear the response that his goal would have merited.

funny I was thinking yesterday that it will probably be at least next football season, god willing, that Dean Court will be back to normal and we can cheer and moan our boys on again!

Dependent on the success of vaccination etc...

;