On this day 15 April

RobTrent

UTC Legend
1978 (Non) QPR 2 V 1 Coventry. Attendance: 17,062.

1986 Notts County 3 V 1 (O’Connor) AFCB. Attendance: 2,423.

1989 Although AFCB lost 0-1 at home to Stoke on this day, when someone told me at the game that the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest had been abandoned, it signalled something terrible had happened.

Ninety-six people lost their lives just going to a football match. The “why’s” and “hows” are for elsewhere. For a while it seemed like football just wasn’t worth it.

But life, and football has carried on…

2006 AFCB 1 (Fletcher) V 1 Huddersfield. Attendance: 7,406.

1978 (Non) QPR 2 V 1 Coventry. Attendance: 17,062.

1986 Notts County 3 V 1 (O’Connor) AFCB. Attendance: 2,423.

1989 Although AFCB lost 0-1 at home to Stoke on this day, when someone told me at the game that the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest had been abandoned, it signalled something terrible had happened.

Ninety-six people lost their lives just going to a football match. The “why’s” and “hows” are for elsewhere. For a while it seemed like football just wasn’t worth it.

But life, and football has carried on…

2006 AFCB 1 (Fletcher) V 1 Huddersfield. Attendance: 7,406.
Im sure for 96 families it STILL isnt worth it.....Dreadful day that Stoke game...thanks Rob

Someone said that there had been crowd trouble and fighting on the pitch at Hillsborough. Only later did we find out what really happened. 30 years later and we still don't have the whole truth.

It was similar with the Bradford fire. We were at Orient that day and heard about some kind of disaster. Afterwards, we saw some pictures on TV screens in a television shop (remember them and crowding round the windows to see the results?) on Leyton High Road. I have almost no recollection of either match.

I remember the Stoke game, people may of been looking at, but werent watching the game. Gerry dropped the ball into the goal, left the ground 20 dead, walked across the park got to the car 50 dead .. 70 odd by the time we got to Christchurch.

So easily could of been us, or Manchester United (who had a perfectly good goal disallowed when they played Forest in the round before.

;