On this day 21st August

RobTrent

UTC Legend
1979: Tommy Heffernan nets for AFCB in a Division 4 clash at home to Walsall. Result 1-1. Crowd: 4,833.

1999: A much better day! A 4-0 victory over Colchester United. On target were Jorgensen, Stein & Fletch (2). Crowd: 4,508

2012: Lewis Grabban fires AFCB to a League 1 home win over Franchise. AFCB failed to capitalise after Franchise were reduced to 10 men. Crowd 5,407

2016: Our first visit to the London Stadium to play West Ham in the Premier League. We lost 1-0. Crowd: 56,977

Wednesday, 21st of August, 1985. The League Cup, then called the Milk Cup, at Elm Park.

If you aside from the violent atmosphere on and off the pitch, the missiles and the fierce chanting between two sets of fans that you hardly hear the like of today, it was just like a friendly, really. As the sun set over the terraces, the evening became menacing and dark.

It was the night of Reading West station, the antimacassars from the Yellow Coaches being worn as hats and a 3-1 win in Coopers Beer shirts. Colin Clarke scored twice and Thompson got the other.

If you were there, you won’t have forgotten it. Reading supporters seem to have done so. Like a club with very little past and possibly even smaller future, Reading as club bang on and on forever about starting 85/86 with 13 straight league wins in the old Third Division. But we beat them in the second match of the season and again two weeks later in the return at Dean Court to set up a tie at Goodison Park.

Before that night, I couldn’t really care about Reading, but they achieved Brighton status that night.

However, following “our big day out” at the Mad Stad and their supporters, I should really change that phrase to “achieving Reading status” Something which Wolves also subsequently managed to do.

Oh, and Brighton these days, who they?

We were there. Remember it well. A group of AFCB fans privately hired a yellow coach, they all came in wearing the headrest covers as hats. :)

2012: Lewis Grabban fires AFCB to a League 1 home win over Franchise. AFCB failed to capitalise after Franchise were reduced to 10 men. Crowd 5,407
QUOTE]

Didn't this finish 1-1? I remember Alan Smith ex-Leeds getting sent off for a bad tackle.

You're right, I misread my own database this time!

I'm going to have a lie down... I might continue tomorrow ;-)

Wednesday, 21st of August, 1985. The League Cup, then called the Milk Cup, at Elm Park.

If you aside from the violent atmosphere on and off the pitch, the missiles and the fierce chanting between two sets of fans that you hardly hear the like of today, it was just like a friendly, really. As the sun set over the terraces, the evening became menacing and dark.

It was the night of Reading West station, the antimacassars from the Yellow Coaches being worn as hats and a 3-1 win in Coopers Beer shirts. Colin Clarke scored twice and Thompson got the other.

If you were there, you won’t have forgotten it. Reading supporters seem to have done so. Like a club with very little past and possibly even smaller future, Reading as club bang on and on forever about starting 85/86 with 13 straight league wins in the old Third Division. But we beat them in the second match of the season and again two weeks later in the return at Dean Court to set up a tie at Goodison Park.

Before that night, I couldn’t really care about Reading, but they achieved Brighton status that night.

However, following “our big day out” at the Mad Stad and their supporters, I should really change that phrase to “achieving Reading status” Something which Wolves also subsequently managed to do.

Oh, and Brighton these days, who they?

Here is the match report. Dodgy quality I'm afraid.

Reading 85.png

;