On this day 28th August

RobTrent

UTC Legend
2004: A 1-0 League 1 home victory versus Wrexham. Alan Connell was the scorer. Crowd: 5,774

1984: As if watching Leeds the day before wasn’t bad enough, just 24 hours later I witnessed an abject AFCB lose 4-0 away to Aldershot in a Milk Cup First Round First Leg match. Remember the miserable train journey back to Dorchester. Crowd: 2,768

I was probably on that same train Rob, as I was based at Portland at the time. Miserable day indeed.

Seeing the above, and other press cuttings kindly shared, makes me wonder: Did anyone else get really irritated by the Echos insistence on referring to AFCB as 'AFC'?

Seeing the above, and other press cuttings kindly shared, makes me wonder: Did anyone else get really irritated by the Echos insistence on referring to AFCB as 'AFC'?

I also recall AFC being written on the seats in the main stand from sometime around the late 80s

Looks as if we may have brought it on ourselves initially

View attachment 869
Interesting report. I have never seen us referred to as AFC comma Bournemouth anywhere, ever. And confirms that the AFC indeed means Athletic Football Club. I mean, I thought it did, but I've seen people over the years say that it didn't actually stand for anything and was just to get us to the top alphabetically. Just wish more organizations would use it; the BBC started to about five or six years ago, but they've largely dropped it again.

This is a veritable treasure trove of clippings you have, flammerouge; keep posting them!

It wasn't just the Echo. There was a young lad (Darren something I think ) who did the programme editing in the late 80's and he also started referring to us as AFC in the programme.

It annoyed me as well. I may even have written to the Club to remind them that we were AFCB and not Arsenal FC

" just 24 hours later I witnessed an abject AFCB lose 4-0 away to Aldershot in a Milk Cup First Round First Leg match."

I took my ex wife and we sat in that horrible little stand to the left of the away fans. Fighting throughout the match and she swore she would never go again after a Bournemouth fan was punched in the mouth just in front of us and I returned the compliment to the coward who had sucker punched the lad.

I wonder if she kept her word about that ?

;