On this day 3rd September

RobTrent

UTC Legend
No apologies for going ‘old skool’ again!

1977: The slide continued. A crushing 0-3 home defeat by Southend United in Division 4. Maybe boosted by away fans, but the crowd was 3,688.

1979: I went to watch the reserves play at Bridport (was living in Dorchester back then). Rather annoyed to find that I’d missed the first 45 minutes in which we were already 4-0 up. I think we went on to win 8-0.

1983: Non – I visited Moss Lane, home of Altrincham, with a Weymouth supporting friend. Alty won 2-1. I remember Bobby(?) Kerr, ex-Sunderland, getting loads of stick from Weymouth fans during a corner and ‘offering them out’ after the game!

1985: A League Cup first round second leg 2-0 victory over The Biscuitmen (Reading). Goals were scored by Colin Russell and Ian Thompson. Was the crowd really just 2,590?

That Southend game was a real shocker. Plenty of cushions on the pitch at the end! Followed a decent showing at QPR midweek in the league cup too.

First home game of the season, Division 2.
AFCB 1-0 Chelsea.
Richard Cooke with the goal.

"We're only 4th Division!" chant followed a remark in (I think) the Chelsea camp about having to go to these 4th division grounds. Probably bitter after relegation in 1987/8.

1994. AFCB 1-4 York.
Mel Machin's first game in charge, goals mostly given away, most notably when Mossy kicked it straight to Paul Barnes who said thank you very much. Think he got a hat trick that day.

No apologies for going ‘old skool’ again!

1977: The slide continued. A crushing 0-3 home defeat by Southend United in Division 4. Maybe boosted by away fans, but the crowd was 3,688.

1979: I went to watch the reserves play at Bridport (was living in Dorchester back then). Rather annoyed to find that I’d missed the first 45 minutes in which we were already 4-0 up. I think we went on to win 8-0.

1983: Non – I visited Moss Lane, home of Altrincham, with a Weymouth supporting friend. Alty won 2-1. I remember Bobby(?) Kerr, ex-Sunderland, getting loads of stick from Weymouth fans during a corner and ‘offering them out’ after the game!

1985: A League Cup first round second leg 2-0 victory over The Biscuitmen (Reading). Goals were scored by Colin Russell and Ian Thompson. Was the crowd really just 2,590?

Here is the match report. Sorry about the So**h*m**on report at the bottom - the Echo seemed a little confused about the scope of their patch in those days

Reading.png

First home game of the season, Division 2.
AFCB 1-0 Chelsea.
Richard Cooke with the goal.

"We're only 4th Division!" chant followed a remark in (I think) the Chelsea camp about having to go to these 4th division grounds. Probably bitter after relegation in 1987/8.

Match report - or at least some of it.

Chelsea.png

;