OT - Buying kit/shirt with your favorite player's name and number.

Esquared1

Reserves
Back when I followed a American hand egg team, I loved to buy my favorite player's jersey. That's sort of a thing in the US at least. If I were to do that, I'd probably pick either Fraser or Arter.

But how is the practice viewed in England?

I think you can safely say that it's a tried and trusted practice over here too, but not just limited to the playing staff.

Al Gard for instance, has a wardrobe (closet) full of jerseys with the names of former chairman on them .......... this one in particular is a prized possession ..........

Attachments

• IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Esquared1 - 23/6/2017 02:24

Back when I followed a American hand egg team, I loved to buy my favorite player's jersey. That's sort of a thing in the US at least. If I were to do that, I'd probably pick either Fraser or Arter.

But how is the practice viewed in England?

Yeah, it's absolutely the norm. You see very few football shirts without players names on.

I have Arter on my one from last season.

I personally wouldn't wear a shirt with a players name on it but always find something else to put on the back. Think the players name thing is best left to kids, but each to their own.

tedisking - 23/6/2017 08:26

Had a fella that sat close to me and he had .....
I--8
Reading

There is an I-8-Scummers in the North Stand.

I tend to agree that it is for kids, once you are older than the players it is a bit odd to have their name on your shirt or to have your face painted but each to their own I suppose.

I usually wait until they are heavily discounted in the sale and get the name of the player I have enjoyed watching the most that season,and keep it as kind of a souvenir,I actually never wear them,only sometimes around the house....

4FCB - 23/6/2017 05:15

I think you can safely say that it's a tried and trusted practice over here too, but not just limited to the playing staff.

Al Gard for instance, has a wardrobe (closet) full of jerseys with the names of former chairman on them .......... this one in particular is a prized possession ..........

:hihi: :hihi:

Back in the day I had Forbes Phillipson-Masters on mine.
Probably why I didn't pay my mortgage off for many years.

I bought a plain 2015/16 one on clearance. I don't remember the timing - but I know I considered Ritchie. But I don't remember if I was afraid he wouldn't be on the team or if he had recently sold. Anyway, if Arter signs a new deal that might tip the sales. Cook is a solid candidate as well. But I have a soft spot in my heart for midfielders.

I haven't worn it though because I'm American and 3XL doesn't mean the same here as it does in England. But by August I should be in a shape to pull it off. :D

I fully support the ironic name/number choice. That would be hard to do with this squad. I guess I need to put my 30+ years in as a supporter to find a good candidate!

On a side note, apparently there is a father/son combo that attends games with "Big Carts" and "Mini Carts" on their shirts. There are a couple Brits with a podcast and TV show here who have pointed them out.

Does anybody know them and are they aware of their minor celebrity here?

4FCB - 23/6/2017 04:15

:clap:

My son has his birthday in August, so every year he gets the full home kit with his name on and current age. Nice and easy, job done and he loves it, and it get's plenty of use.

By xmas, he usually has all the current kits.

....the only name that I have ever used to have on my shirt was Jorgensen....because I used to wear it on holiday!.....remember that AC Milan had a player with the same name too around that time, and it caused great confusion when I holidayed in Italy!

...more recently I have the orange GK shirt with Boruc on the back!

Not sure Iwould do it again though?

afcdibby - 23/6/2017 19:37

My son has his birthday in August, so every year he gets the full home kit with his name on and current age. Nice and easy, job done and he loves it, and it get's plenty of use.

By xmas, he usually has all the current kits.

My son has started getting a shirt with his age too (doesn't buy shorts and socks though) and was pleased last season as he was 15 with a surname of Smith. Shame Brad smith didn't sign a year earlier!

Do you still pay by the letter? If so we must be the cheapest PL team, especially if we do sign Jermain & Nathan: Ake, Ibe, Cook, Cook, Pugh, King, Boruc, Defoe, Smith and Smith. All a fiver or less.

Sorry Roger - 25/6/2017 09:39

Do you still pay by the letter? If so we must be the cheapest PL team, especially if we do sign Jermain & Nathan: Ake, Ibe, Cook, Cook, Pugh, King, Boruc, Defoe, Smith and Smith. All a fiver or less.

No they've changed it this season to a flat fee of £14 no matter what you have even if you just want one number.

;