Our friends ( the runners-up )

Swansea are in all sorts of confusion from the boardroom downwards. Very little summer activity because they've had no one signing the deals, and that's why they missed out on the top target of Joe Allen. If the departures of Willams and Ayew are confirmed, then they will be in the mix make no mistake.

The Alchemist - 2/8/2016 11:07

Silent AFCB - 2/8/2016 07:30

red_house - 1/8/2016 23:34

Tinpot Club - 1/8/2016 19:53

The 3 obvious relegation candidates are Watford, Swansea and Hull.

No chance Swansea..they really picked up towards the end

They've lost Gomis and Ashley Williams looks like he's off to Everton.

West Ham want Andre Ayew too.

Whilst Swansea is not an obvious choice, I think if they lose Williams then they will struggle.

If they lose Ayew too, they have no strikers. No strikers and your best CB leaving is a recipe for disaster unless replaced.

afcb.czech - 2/8/2016 08:41

drd - 2/8/2016 08:01

Hate to be the harbinger of doom but I'd go Hull, Boro, us
Unless we get a couple more defenders in, we could easily struggle if we get a couple of injuries/ suspensions and we were shipping goals for fun at the end of last season.
Last season we started with the confidence of being champions behind us. This year we start with the confidence of ...err, being hammered several times

I hope you're wrong but I also expect us to be right in the mix. We went out with a whimper at the end of last season. Not just by failing to pick up points but playing terrible football. Every season with EH in charge we have finished strongly and taken the momentum into the following season, this year that has been broken. I think we will stay up, but can also see a variation where we are 10 points adrift at the bottom at Christmas.

Blimey you two are positive! I seriously can't believe we wont sign another CB before the window closes, we have signed Smith & Ake who are improvements on last season. We have Callum back, and Ibe, King major improvement second half of last season, so going forward way more options.

Unless we get a couple more defenders in, we could easily struggle if we get a couple of injuries/ suspensions and we were shipping goals for fun at the end of last season.
Last season we started with the confidence of being champions behind us. This year we start with the confidence of ...err, being hammered several times
Think the experience of playing in the prem makes us better prepared this season. Re the defence the signing of Brad Smith solves the fear around left back cover whilst ake also provides some versatility but I am very worried about centre half: still need to replace distin and elphick unless cargill and mings are ready to step up. Be surprised if that is the case just yet.

..I am going for an 11th place finish, think we will get in a CB and Mings may well develop into a good one too...I think that Hull City, Burnley and Watford will go down..

Silent AFCB - 2/8/2016 08:56

If they lose Ayew too, they have no strikers. No strikers and your best CB leaving is a recipe for disaster unless replaced.

Perhaps its just me but I don't really rate Williams..I know he's been a great servant to them and had a great tournament for Wales but he's always looked slightly slow and ponderous.

Ayew would be a loss obviously but the way Guidolin set them up towards the end of the season makes me think they'll do okay.

I reckon Pardew will be the first managerial casualty, despite their spending.

afcb.czech - 2/8/2016 08:41

I hope you're wrong but I also expect us to be right in the mix. We went out with a whimper at the end of last season. Not just by failing to pick up points but playing terrible football. Every season with EH in charge we have finished strongly and taken the momentum into the following season, this year that has been broken. I think we will stay up, but can also see a variation where we are 10 points adrift at the bottom at Christmas.

Not sure where you're getting the negative waves from. Although I don't think it will be easy, the signings of Cook and Ibe alone I believe are enough to change the dynamic of the team that finished the season. It was a tremendously difficult run in.

Smith, Ake and the return of Cargill on loan are confidence lifters however like others I dont think we have the nous in defence to deal with the usual top 6 teams without further strengthening at the back.

AFCBade - 2/8/2016 09:06

Think the experience of playing in the prem makes us better prepared this season. Re the defence the signing of Brad Smith solves the fear around left back cover whilst ake also provides some versatility but I am very worried about centre half: still need to replace distin and elphick unless cargill and mings are ready to step up. Be surprised if that is the case just yet.

I agree with most of your post, but about how to replace Distin & Elphick- how much of a contribution did they actually make last season? They were mainly bit-part players.

Presuming we don't have another injury crisis, our defensive line is stronger and more experienced than the same time last year. Plus I believe we have improved/ additional midfield players who can help protect the back line. IF we can get another CB or 2 in then great, if not then I don't think it's a total disaster.

Warning signs were there with the Pompey friendly but friendlies are notoriously difficult to judge and the midfield was arguably lightweight with the inexperienced Wiggins @LB. I'm really excited to see how our strongest XI perform, even if it takes a few games to find the formula and we take a few beatings along the way.

We are 7th favourite for relegation.

Hull, Burnley, Middlesbrough, Watford, WBA, Sunderland and then AFCB.

https://m.oddschecker.com/t/football/english/premier-league/premier-league/relegation

;