Our goal celebration - new strategy

Coughlin

Reserves
It’s great our players celebrate like fans when we score but the failure to hold leads at Chelsea and now West Ham means we need a re think.

Yes let the forwards Ron off to the fa s and celebrate. Give Begovic the role of getting the back 4/5 back into their own half lined up properly and with a steely focus to defend.

In rugby the whole side does not trail after the goal scorer they go back to their positions and re set.

Nonsense.

They are all back in position when the game is restarted anyway.

Perhaps we should have all eleven players stand on our own goal line after we score, just for a couple of minutes.

I agree. The hysterical jumping around after a goal is a relatively new phenomenon. At Chelsea and today I reckon it contributed to conceding immediately. The euphoria makes us vulnerable.

Focus.
Concentrate.
Win

fritter - 20/1/2018 21:52

I agree. The hysterical jumping around after a goal is a relatively new phenomenon. At Chelsea and today I reckon it contributed to conceding immediately. The euphoria makes us vulnerable.

Focus.
Concentrate.
Win

New phenomenon? Not sure about that.
If only it was that simple, humans not robots competing in a an emotional sport, that said, still time to celebrate and still get focused from the restart

Does make me chuckle. Something coincidental happens in two games and the Optima stats fans have to develop some theory about a slap on the back and a firm handshake being the sure fire route to not conceding immediately.

It is relatively new. By that I mean within 20 years probably. Like fireworks at new year, only since NYE 1999.

Can't see that over celebration can help focus. That's all. Not difficult.

And I hate tattoos and coloured boots, in the interest of full disclosure.

PS what's optima?

As others have said, the amount of energy, effort and emotion that goes in to scoring at this level means it’s only natural players (and fans) celebrate as they do. If you take the emotion out of it, you end up with a Wikipedia style sterile celebration described here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal_celebration

Mind you, there’s a lot to be said about James Hayter’s underrated goal celebrations - he wouldn’t have had his record hat trick if he’d done more than s hand shake a stroll back to the centre!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahud3LV156g

wild_goose - 21/1/2018 07:45

Mind you, there’s a lot to be said about James Hayter’s underrated goal celebrations - he wouldn’t have had his record hat trick if he’d done more than s hand shake a stroll back to the centre!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahud3LV156g

Just watched that (for about the 50th time) and for kick off after both goals, Wrexham were ready to take the kick off for about 15/20 seconds before Hayter got back in our half, so if he'd hurried back, he could have knocked another 30 or so seconds off that time.

Just watched that again.

If it hadn't been for Feeny being slow back to the halfway line Hayter could have knocked a couple of seconds off that. :grin:

Nice to go back to simpler times when players didn't go totally mental after scoring though.

I suppose these days you have to think about scoring bonuses and win bonuses; there's a lot to celebrate when a goal goes in.

Back then James probably got an extra 30 quid for that hat trick.

Eddie’s comment in the Echo.

“You could say it was a concentration issue, I’m not sure. It was just that we didn’t attack the ball well enough, twice.

I agree with him. They concentrated fine when you watch the footage as every one was in position and marking the correct man. The issue is our age old one of not having tall centre halfs. Cook and Ake were both outjumped at crucial moments that a six foot three plus centre back wouldn’t have been.

This is not a criticism of them btw. They are great on the ground. It’s just part of our issue conceding a lot of aerial goals highlighted on motd last night and one we are all aware of.

;