Our U21s

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
Maybe it’s just the standard of opposition they’re playing, but every week our youths just seem to be ruthlessly dunking on most of the teams they’re playing. Surely some of these lads must be properly knocking on the door of the first team soon?

Or is it a case of our squads being category 2 in all but name, so the other teams they’re playing are just not to the required standard? On paper beating Forests U21s 0-3 seems like a fantastic result.

Maybe it’s just the standard of opposition they’re playing, but every week our youths just seem to be ruthlessly dunking on most of the teams they’re playing. Surely some of these lads must be properly knocking on the door of the first team soon?

Or is it a case of our squads being category 2 in all but name, so the other teams they’re playing are just not to the required standard? On paper beating Forests U21s 0-3 seems like a fantastic result.

Encouraging week combined with a fa youth cup win too. Dobre seems to be gaining confidence too: Time for a decent loan move or give him a go instead of the strikers who aren’t scoring. May need a gamble on the youngsters to change the dynamic of the team

It‘s one of the reasons why I feel we WILL have a legacy to show for our time in the PL. We have invested well in our youth setup. Surely we never had youngsters playing at this level before ? We seem to have a few youngsters sniffing around our PL first team. That can‘t be bad at all ! It‘s also why completing the new training ground is imperative. We have the staff, we have the players and now we just need the right environment for them to work in and the right league for the youngsters to play in.
Hopefully the board still sees things this way and possible relegation to The Championship will not derail the plans.
young:utc:

It‘s one of the reasons why I feel we WILL have a legacy to show for our time in the PL. We have invested well in our youth setup. Surely we never had youngsters playing at this level before ? We seem to have a few youngsters sniffing around our PL first team. That can‘t be bad at all ! It‘s also why completing the new training ground is imperative. We have the staff, we have the players and now we just need the right environment for them to work in and the right league for the youngsters to play in.
Hopefully the board still sees things this way and possible relegation to The Championship will not derail the plans.
young:utc:

My biggest fear with relegation is not seeing the training ground through to completion

...sometimes I think that rather than always loan out our younger prospects, get them in and around the team, maybe on the bench giving them some taste of the PL...especially when we are heavy with injuries and preferring to play players out of position constantly...there are times when I am watching some of our senior players toil that I think...come on Eddie throw on a youngster like Surridge or Kilkenny as they really couldn't do any worse and will get some experience...trouble is that recently I have seen Francis admonishing Travers and Callum doing the same to Surridge when he missed a pass...that doesn't help!

Encouraging week combined with a fa youth cup win too. Dobre seems to be gaining confidence too: Time for a decent loan move or give him a go instead of the strikers who aren’t scoring. May need a gamble on the youngsters to change the dynamic of the team
Dobre actually told Eddie he doesn’t want to go on loan as he wants to fight for a place in the team. With our strikers and wingers misfiring and / or injured he may well get his opportunity, but that won’t happen if he’s on loan somewhere.

...sometimes I think that rather than always loan out our younger prospects, get them in and around the team, maybe on the bench giving them some taste of the PL...especially when we are heavy with injuries and preferring to play players out of position constantly...there are times when I am watching some of our senior players toil that I think...come on Eddie throw on a youngster like Surridge or Kilkenny as they really couldn't do any worse and will get some experience...trouble is that recently I have seen Francis admonishing Travers and Callum doing the same to Surridge when he missed a pass...that doesn't help!
Really important this season to keep them close I agree.

Dobre actually told Eddie he doesn’t want to go on loan as he wants to fight for a place in the team. With our strikers and wingers misfiring and / or injured he may well get his opportunity, but that won’t happen if he’s on loan somewhere.

good attitude but someone like Fraser really benefitted from his loan at Ipswich. Same for surridge no doubt

It has happened in the past for ourselves and a host of other clubs. Youngsters get thrown in at the deep end and they just click. I'm thinking of Danny Ings. If I remember correctly, he was toiling away at Dorchester and got called back because of injuries. He played straight away for us , scored a rather fortunate goal and then just didn't look back. I think you could apply the same with Brooks. I'm sure he was bought in as " one for the future ", had a great pre season where he just clicked and now we are missing the heartbeat of the team. If we don't play the younger lads we'll never know but at the same time I'm not sure we should be throwing them in a game like today's.

If we don't play the younger lads we'll never know but at the same time I'm not sure we should be throwing them in a game like today's.
I think it’s a lot easier to throw in an explosive player like Dobre for 20 mins at the end rather than someone who needs to play with a bit more responsibility like a midfielder or defender. Probably not in the squad today but could be a decent change of pace option at some point if we are chasing a game.

I think it’s a lot easier to throw in an explosive player like Dobre for 20 mins at the end rather than someone who needs to play with a bit more responsibility like a midfielder or defender. Probably not in the squad today but could be a decent change of pace option at some point if we are chasing a game.
....agree Dobre, Surridge or Kilkenny can add something different to our stale attacking play if given a chance IMO...

"Callum doing the same to Surridge when he missed a pass"

Callum was in on goal if he had passed it, Nothing wrong with Callum telling him that.

"Callum doing the same to Surridge when he missed a pass"

Callum was in on goal if he had passed it, Nothing wrong with Callum telling him that.
...it wasn't that time it was when Callum laidthe ball int o him and he lost control of it (with a defender right on his back)

;