Patrick Van Aanholt to Crystal Palace

DJ

Sunderland selling to a relegation rival - £14 million for a 26 year old full back.

3 goals, 1 assist.
77% pass success
1.7 tackles per game
2 interceptions per game
2.3 clearances per game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/78221

Comparison to Charlie Daniels, who some wanted to drop earlier this season...

30 years old
3 goals and 3 assists
83% pass success
1.7 tackles per game
1.8 interceptions per game
2.4 clearances per game

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/24827

Utterly ridiculous price for a very average player. I think Sunderland are cashing in having accepted relegation especially after signing Lescott.

Can you imagine the Dawson report following a defeat if we had spent £14m on him!

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Doesn't include two most important stats - cock-ups per game and goals conceded per cock-up.

Without those metrics the stats are pretty much meaningless for a defender.

Allardyce knows him from when Sunderland manager, so this is what he says about the player in the Express.

“His contribution, in terms of assists and goals, was massive. When it came to defending he got better with me and listened to what we told him about, where the weaker side of his game was and he made it stronger.

“He has great energy and is a very good player. He and Jeffrey Schlupp will increase the speed and energy levels of the squad. If everything goes well, I look forward to him joining me again here.”

Grumpy G - 27/1/2017 12:42

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Doesn't include two most important stats - cock-ups per game and goals conceded per cock-up.

Without those metrics the stats are pretty much meaningless for a defender.

I do agree stats do not paint the whole picture. Still think it creates an interesting discussion point though.

The next defender inbound to Palace is a certain Carl Jenkinson. Who's West Ham loan we ruined before it'd barely got started by getting Gradel/Wilson/Pugh running at him all afternoon that day.

northstandmark - 27/1/2017 16:45

The next defender inbound to Palace is a certain Carl Jenkinson. Who's West Ham loan we ruined before it'd barely got started by getting Gradel/Wilson/Pugh running at him all afternoon that day.

Problem is I don't think any of them will start on Tuesday.

Shows how hard it is to find defenders these days though, with the likes of fonte and Williams going for 10 plus million at their ages it shows how hard a good centre half is to come by. Makes you wonder what Steve cook is worth!

;