Peak 6

Hi Fuzzydude . Dude - Nope not a ' scummer' only ever went to Dell as a neutral- no feelings about them other than being ecstatic if we beat them. I won't challenge you how you feel about them.
Who am I?- Lifelong fan from 1959- endured a few beatings/ bruises from Bristol/Millwall/Man U fans years ago in the name of the Cherries away from home, peaceful and not in a group, just walking to Rail stations with dad. Held back by 4 or 5 Leeds idiots, while they poured boiling hot tea on my dads(75 yrs old) face and neck in DC car park in 1990. All before anyone ever went ' online'.

You - Me - Al. - all of us are equal with as much right as each other to spout whatever we want, irrespective of age or status, rubbish or not, all in the name of The Cherries- that's all that counts.

Is "riddles" Navy slang for "crap"? : )

BillyMc, nearly a thousand posts and 900 apologising for the other 50 odd. A lot of the posters on here attend most games, home and away, speaking for myself I'm very pleased with the way Max has invested in our club and the vision for the future. The future could go any way, what was the future 9 years ago? Having been to all current Premier League grounds, I can tell you, our club is right up there in the Champions League places for it's inclusivity. I'm prepared to give our owners the benefit, the op was an enquiry about how involved Peak 6 appear to be : )

Agreed about Max - nearly all my edgy posts stem from impatience about the stadium. Max has worked wonders for us, best Chairman ever, I've never said otherwise- its just frustration with the financial and council complications and being fed up with the waiting for information that fires me up.

Sorry for the error! Owner is Max, Jeff is Chairman of course! Both served us well in a magical decade with their respective roles. When you add Eddie and Jason its some kind of long lasting formula that I hope stays in place.

We have a lot to be grateful for. That’s why it surprises me that so many fans still grumble about so many things. Looking at the bigger picture, we’ve never had it so good.

afcb_rednblack - 19/2/2018 16:58

Yes, I know there is no change in the shareholding, that wasn't my point.

I find it strange that AFCB is not featured in their portfolio of commercial interests whereas other clubs are. As a not insignificant shareholder they remain surprisingly silent in a number of respects.

Back on track

As you say it seems quite odd why they wouldn't be using their investment in the PL as a marketing tool. I'm not sure if you found this but PEAK 6 opened a company in the UK prior to jumping on board and yet it was dissolved last November.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09714189/filing-history

I've no idea what this means - do we have any business people who can explain this ? (Wheres red tower when you need him for a decent conspiracy theory :hihi: )

BillMcgarrycherry - 19/2/2018 23:41

Agreed about Max - nearly all my edgy posts stem from impatience about the stadium. Max has worked wonders for us, best Chairman ever, I've never said otherwise- its just frustration with the financial and council complications and being fed up with the waiting for information that fires me up.

Errr - why?
Thought you said you don’t go to games.

How the #### can I go to games without a Ticket - That's why I AND OTHERS WANT A BIGGER STADIUM- How many fxxxing more times! By time it happens I will be too old probably! When my wife is recovered from C, I will resume going to London Aways and some others by getting tickets in various ways from contacts built up over many years, plus family and friends with no help from the club! Its difficult now living in exile but ive supported the club through at least 1000 games home and away over 30 plus seasons - Would have been many more but for time at sea! If I ever get a ST in a new stadium I would drive up from Cornwall with regularity whether its PL or any other div! Prior to 2015 that's what I did!

BillMcgarrycherry - 20/2/2018 22:19

How the #### can I go to games without a Ticket - That's why I AND OTHERS WANT A BIGGER STADIUM- How many fxxxing more times! By time it happens I will be too old probably! When my wife is recovered from C, I will resume going to London Aways and some others by getting tickets in various ways from contacts built up over many years, plus family and friends with no help from the club! Its difficult now living in exile but ive supported the club through at least 1000 games home and away over 30 plus seasons - Would have been many more but for time at sea! If I ever get a ST in a new stadium I would drive up from Cornwall with regularity whether its PL or any other div! Prior to 2015 that's what I did!

Just as a matter of interest.....when was the last time you went to DC ?

Genuine question.

When Peak6 were first mentioned regarding being involved with AFCB I thought back to the 70's perhaps the 80's where in Christchurch (I think) was a Company (I think called Peak6) that made Teddy Bears for fetes, raffles etc....

Every time Peak6 are mentioned I cannot get this thought out of my head, can anyone advise me if I am right or have I got the name wrong?
Cheers

red_house - 20/2/2018 19:51

afcb_rednblack - 19/2/2018 16:58

Yes, I know there is no change in the shareholding, that wasn't my point.

I find it strange that AFCB is not featured in their portfolio of commercial interests whereas other clubs are. As a not insignificant shareholder they remain surprisingly silent in a number of respects.

Back on track

As you say it seems quite odd why they wouldn't be using their investment in the PL as a marketing tool. I'm not sure if you found this but PEAK 6 opened a company in the UK prior to jumping on board and yet it was dissolved last November.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09714189/filing-history

I've no idea what this means - do we have any business people who can explain this ? (Wheres red tower when you need him for a decent conspiracy theory :hihi: )

It would appear that they set up the Company - and then didn't file any accounts - even if they did not trade through the Company there should still file dormant accounts - the longest period they could file accounts for would be 18 months - so to February 2017.

It is possible that they needed to form a UK Company as part of their investment in AFCB - needing to have a presence in the UK? - However, if it is not trading, close it down - it costs money to file accounts for a Company, even if it isn't trading.

Winsor Cherry - 21/2/2018 08:40

Genuine question.

When Peak6 were first mentioned regarding being involved with AFCB I thought back to the 70's perhaps the 80's where in Christchurch (I think) was a Company (I think called Peak6) that made Teddy Bears for fetes, raffles etc....

Every time Peak6 are mentioned I cannot get this thought out of my head, can anyone advise me if I am right or have I got the name wrong?
Cheers

I always think of Sport 6

:eyes:

paulfrank - 21/2/2018 04:08

You are thinking of Peeks in Fairmile Road Christchurch.
Purveyors of party stuff , balloons, masks etc.
yeah peeks of Bournemouth. Didn’t they make those footballs that were more like a heavy balloon than an actual ball. Could win them at fairs and stuff

Are you thinking of Peak Freans Mr Cherry. They made Lemon Puff biscuits? Or Twin Peaks the David Lynch FBi drama.

Winsor Cherry - 21/2/2018 08:40

Genuine question.

Cheers

Last time Ted was for the Hull(6-1 on my 66 birthday !) . Only 2 others were Everton(3-3) and Swansea (3-2 ) in first season up. Managed a few in promotion season the last one was Middlesboro and about 15 in the Div 1 promotion season last one being Port Vale near the end. Any games since in PL have been away.

There has been a lot of nonsense spouted about Peak6 on other threads so I thought it would be useful to explain a few facts about them. US Securities law requires regular publication of information which, in the case of Peak6, is on Nasdaq here: https://www.nasdaq.com/quotes/institutional-portfolio/peak6-investments-lp-735043

There is a lot of jargon but it is easily explained.

Peak6 operate as an institutional portfolio. That means they are a business that buys and sells shares in other companies. The most recent Nasdaq return shows that the total value of those shares was just over $3 billion.

The same report records that they had positions in 1,656 companies in the period, that is they had shares in 1,656 companies at some point in the period. Of which, 564 were new investments and 438 were sold out. In other words, at any one time, they are constantly buying into new businesses and selling out of others.

They are also market makers. That means they provide a way for privately owned companies to sell shareholdings in their company. The purpose of a market maker is to trade cash for shares in the expectation of being able to sell that shareholding at a profit at some point in the future either as a 'trade sale' (that is, to someone else) or because the privately owned company becomes publicly listed. They then sell those shares either on the relevant stock exchange at a profit or to an institution that has underwritten the launch (that is agreed to buy a given number of shares at a certain price).

Both activities (institutional portfolio management and market making) are relatively short term. The idea is to turn a profit fairly quickly. Not all deals will be profitable of course, but taking a hit on some deals doesn't matter provided the overall portfolio is profitable. None of this implies active involvement in the detailed management of the companies concerned.

So do not be surprised if Peak6 sell up, it is what they do. And they may do so at a loss. If so, so what?

;