Phil Bill appreciation thread

drd

Star Player
A few short weeks ago, I was one of those who would not have been fussed if PB never played for us again. But I think he is a huge part of our resurgence, absolutely magnificent in his new role. Credit to JW for playing him there, but credit to PB for a huge improvement in effort and displays

A few short weeks ago, I was one of those who would not have been fussed if PB never played for us again. But I think he is a huge part of our resurgence, absolutely magnificent in his new role. Credit to JW for playing him there, but credit to PB for a huge improvement in effort and displays
Agree. Thought he just lolloped about and never had any determination about him. How wrong! Let’s hope he keeps playing the right way and yes, credit to JW

For his goal at Huddersfield, Billing not only played Solanke through with a lovely pass, but he then sprinted from the centre circle to the penalty area to be on hand to score.

The transformation has been remarkable. Sometimes you just don't know your strengths until someone takes the time to patiently explain them to you. Credit to JW and his staff for seeing something in Bill that even Eddie didn't and credit to Bill for taking on a new role and flourishing.

That was goal of the season for me. The speed and accuracy of the passing was absolutely amazing

There are an incredible number of candidates for goal of the season this time around.

Rastablasters from Jeff, Dom, Gozza, Lewis, Jack....

At least ten (probably) impossible angles finishes from Danjuma

Cracking free kicks from Stan and Diego. Stan's mazy run against Hudds.

The build up to doms goal yesterday.

I'm sure there's a few crackers I've missed too.

Reactions: drd
I'll say it, there are still times when he appears to be going less than full speed. But his new positioning seems to make up for it and he finds himself in the right place. Could be that his long legs just give off an impression of not giving 100%, while it's more about the role. And, he sure seems very happy to have been given this job. The Hudds board was shocked at how good he looked.

Definitely a big plus for us now, one of a number of players that we must keep healthy over the next few weeks.

Anyone else also think with a settled team, players also seem calmer and I know winning breeds confidence but the passing is also so must crisper.
When we counter attack it seems we have loads bursting to get forward .
Phil bill is a big part of that

The transformation has been remarkable. Sometimes you just don't know your strengths until someone takes the time to patiently explain them to you. Credit to JW and his staff for seeing something in Bill that even Eddie didn't and credit to Bill for taking on a new role and flourishing.

Indeed mate. Some players will be immense pretty much regardless of tactics, minimal managerial input. Most need the right mgmt to get the best of them.

Hence a lot saying this being the most talented squad, but still need the right man to make it all come together.

The buck pretty much always stops with the manager if the team aren't performing to their potential/ability. An on the other side, deserve a lot of credit when getting positive results.

Last edited:
Never mind JT even Eddie couldn't get this tune out of PB, and rarely if ever used him in this position. A few months back Billing was maybe 4th or 5th choice conventional midfielder.

So Billing had ability in him, that's probably why Eddie signed him. After all he's already won promotion from this league, and impressed in flashes in the PL for Huddersfield and later ourselves. You don't do that if you're a bad player. Remember him bossing Championship Luton in the FA cup last season? But it was only ever in flashes until recently.

I'd love to hear Eddie's thoughts on this change of position and vein of form. Woodgate seems to have clicked something with him.

Agree we are seeing a highly motivated player who has found some real belief in himself. Whether that is JW's influence and backing of him or the freedom that he has been given to 'roam' in the team or maybe both?

He is close to being my player of the season with only Begovic, Danjuma, CCV and Solanke in contention IMO...his goals have certainly been crucial in games...

I also like the way he has become a team player and linked into most of good performances both in attack and defending...

;