Piracy and tv income

kirsikka

UTC Legend
We're namechecked here and it is true that something needs to give on this front. I'm just not sure how they will come to a solution that allows people what they want and can do illegally - to be able to watch every match live on tv - without affecting attendances down the divisions or letting the big clubs keep 90% of the money thus destroying any final semblance of competitiveness.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/08/premier-league-clubs-tv-rights-piracy

No games during the blackout will be the first move.

But any movement towards all games being available will see a drop in revenue.

There’s somewhat of an exclusivity for the likes of Sky and BT getting “first pick” of weekend games. Take that away and the bidding prices will drop.

As soon as all the games are available there will also be a clamour by the big clubs to do their own deals and the likes of us will be struggling to compete whilst the bigger clubs just get richer.

our financial "model" is ridiculous. its just a matter of time.

The only thing that might work in our favour is the Big 6 benefit from being part of the Best League in the World TM. Anything that reduces the competitiveness of the PL will reduce our leagues unique selling point to the rest of the world. It’s for this reason the leading clubs in England have much better TV deals than their Europeans counterparts.

Now if I’m being honest, the Big 6 will take any short term gain even if to the detriment of the long term success of the PL. That might prove tricky for us in particular but since any attempt from us to mitigate against future changes would almost certainly result in relegation, there’s not a lot else we can do than stick to the script.

Reactions: DJ
BeIN have a real bee in their bonnet about BeOutQ and this is just another example. They believe it's state sponsored piracy in the stand-off between Saudi/UAE and Qatar. Israel got involved as well broadcasting on the same satellite for the World Cup free-to-air so everyone that picks up BeIN by Satellite had access.

FIFA didn't step in when they 'stole' the Asian Cup, now it seems they're appealing to the PL to help them. Every other week we have banners on the TV here about how they're appealing to various courts to stop BeOutQ.

This is just an empty threat, there's way too much money in the legitimate broadcasting and piracy will never be irradiated, so how do they come up with these numbers each club is missing?

Worth noting how the TV money has inflated with the various iterations of the TV deal, so have the transfer fees and wages required to complete inflated. Supply and demand, the more / less money is in the supply, the more / less can be demanded. So in theory, if the TV deal deflated, so should the fees and wages required to compete. But I don't think that's ever happened before. Things in life tend to go steady up and crash down. When it gets towards that point, is when the suits running the PL really earn their crust, as opposed to the cushy number they've had for the last 30 years.

For AFCB's part, all we can do is ensure that, whilst paying our PL stars the going rate they can currently command, we also have suitable clauses and contingencies in the contracts that adjust the wages in the event of relegation and suchlike. Clubs that drop like a stone tend to be the clubs who have players on PL wages locked in for several years. Sunderland still paying Jack Rodwell 80k per week in League One.

Last edited:
Rodwell is at Blackburn ? But I understand what you say.......begining to think the older ones amongst us have seen the best of it....:(

"He said that 50% of fans in the UK had accessed Premier League streams – with a third not even knowing it was illegal. "

Where did they get those figures pin the tail on a donkey?

Before double tape decks, who remembers sticking two tape recorders next to each other to copy a music tape, or more intense copying ZX Spectrum games only for someone to come in and speak and ruin the whole damn recording :LOL:. 5 minutes of loading time and screeching, for it just to crash out at the end.

You kids don't know what gaming is "Match Day" on the spectrum was where it was at.

Before double tape decks, who remembers sticking two tape recorders next to each other to copy a music tape, or more intense copying ZX Spectrum games only for someone to come in and speak and ruin the whole damn recording :LOL:. 5 minutes of loading time and screeching, for it just to crash out at the end.

You kids don't know what gaming is "Match Day" on the spectrum was where it was at.
The ZX Spectrum reference warrants a whole new thread ;-)

The ZX Spectrum reference warrants a whole new thread ;-)

Make sure there is a separate one for the Commodore 64.

A friend of mine had access to a double tape deck. It was life-changing! I still remember having to lean on my cassette player (pushing the heads down) to get games to load.

;